1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of product of heaviside step function and another function

1. Nov 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A damped harmonic oscillator is driven by a force of the form f(t)=h(t) t^2 Exp(-t), where h(t) is a Heaviside step function. The Oscillator satisfies the equation x''+2x'+4x=f(t). Use pencil-and-paper methods involving Fourier transforms and inverse transforms to find the
    response of the oscillator, x(t), assuming that x(0)=0 and x'(0)=1.
    2. Relevant equations
    The Fourier Transform F[f(t)]
    The Inverse Fourier Transform F^(-1)[f(ω)]
    Integration by parts
    3. The attempt at a solution
    First thing I did was take the Fourier transform of the left hand side, which I'm sure I got correct. The part I'm stuck on is taking the fourier transform of f(t). I used integration by parts using
    u=t^2/e^t dv=h(t)(Exp[i ω t])
    du=(2t-t^2)/e^t v=πδ(ω)+i/ω

but now when I try to complete the integration, i get an integral that does not converge because of the i/ω. There have been multiple heaviside problems that I have been working on that all end up the same, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2014 #2
    In general actually, how would one go about solving the fourier transform of a function with the form f(t)H(t)

for example, how could I do the fourier transform of tH(t)? Again, I've tried doing it by parts, but nothing good comes of it

4. Nov 20, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The way you split the integrand up is unusual. The step function allows you to write the integral as
    $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty t^2e^{-t}h(t) e^{i\omega t}\,dt = \int_0^\infty t^2e^{(i\omega-1)t}\,dt,$$ which you can integrate by parts. A trick you could use to avoid integration by parts is to note that ##t^2 e^{i\omega t} = -\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \omega^2}e^{i\omega t}##, so you can say
    $$\int_0^\infty t^2e^{(i\omega-1)t}\,dt = -\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \omega^2}\int_0^\infty e^{(i\omega-1)t}\,dt$$

5. Nov 22, 2014 #4
    Thank you so much you are a life saver. My homework became super easy after your post!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted