1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of rect(x/2)*comb(x) + sketch

1. Mar 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Take the Fourier Transform of f(x)=rect(x/2)*comb(x) where rect is the rectangle function and comb is the Dirac comb. Sketch the results.

2. Relevant equations
    The FT of a convolution is the product of the individual FTs.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Taking the FT is pretty simple, but it's the graph that I'm a little confused about. If we take the FT of f(x)<->F(u)

F(u)=2sinc(2u)comb(u), if we define sinc(u)=sin(pi u)/(pi u), rather than the other way which leaves out pi.

The graph of such a function is simply the sampling of points along 2sinc(2u) at the period of comb(u), which should just be 1. Therefore at u=0, you'd have a point of 2 (although 2sinc(2u) isn't defined at u=0, though I believe it's commonly considered to be defined as its limit, which in this case is 2). All of the other integer values of 2sinc(2u) are simply 0.

Am I correct in assuming that the graph of 2sinc(2u)comb(u) is just {2,0,0,...,0} for all n>=0?

This seems like a silly answer for a problem, but maybe that's the point. I just have a tendency to second guess myself when given a stupid problem with a simple answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2
    Sorry, this thread should be in Calculus & Beyond. I thought I was in that forum before I posted. If a mod could move it, I'd appreciate not having to re-post it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook