Fourier transform in the complex plane

In summary, the conversation is discussing two equations related to Fourier Transformation in the complex plane, which are not commonly seen in other textbooks. The question is whether these equations can be derived from the traditional Fourier transform in the real domain, where both variables are real. The conversation also mentions the possibility of these equations representing a two-dimensional transform, but the interpretation is uncertain.
Tspirit

Homework Statement

I am reading the book of Gerry and Knight "Introductory Quantum Optics" (2004). In page 60, Chapter 3.7, there is two equation referring Fourier Transformation in the complex plane as follows:
$$g(u)=\int f(\alpha)e^{\alpha^{*}u-\alpha u^{*}}d^{2}\alpha, (3.94a)$$
$$f(\alpha)=\frac{1}{\pi^{2}}\int g(u)e^{u^{*}\alpha-u\alpha*}d^{2}u.(3.94b)$$
I have never seen this form in other textbook. My question is, Can it be derived from traditional Fourier transform in the real domain,
$$g(u)=\int f(\alpha)e^{-2\pi i\alpha u}d^{2}\alpha$$
$$f(\alpha)=\int g(u)e^{2\pi i\alpha u}d^{2}u$$
where ##\alpha## and ##u## are both real?

Homework Equations

Refer the proleam statement.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea expanding it from real domain to complex domain. Who can derive it or give me a reference? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tspirit said:

Homework Statement

I am reading the book of Gerry and Knight "Introductory Quantum Optics" (2004). In page 60, Chapter 3.7, there is two equation referring Fourier Transformation in the complex plane as follows:
$$g(u)=\int f(\alpha)e^{\alpha^{*}u-\alpha u^{*}}d^{2}\alpha, (3.94a)$$
$$f(\alpha)=\frac{1}{\pi^{2}}\int g(u)e^{u^{*}\alpha-u\alpha*}d^{2}u.(3.94b)$$
I have never seen this form in other textbook. My question is, Can it be derived from traditional Fourier transform in the real domain,
$$g(u)=\int f(\alpha)e^{-2\pi i\alpha u}d^{2}\alpha$$
$$f(\alpha)=\int g(u)e^{2\pi i\alpha u}d^{2}u$$
where ##\alpha## and ##u## are both real?

Homework Equations

Refer the proleam statement.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I suspect (from the ##d^{2}\alpha## and from what you have said) is that ##g(u)=\int f(\alpha)e^{\alpha^{*}u-\alpha u^{*}}d^{2}\alpha## is meant to represent a two-dimensional transform.
If ##α \equiv |α| e^{iθ_α}## and ##u \equiv |u| e^{iθ_u}##, then ##\alpha^{*}u-\alpha u^{*} = 2i|α||u|sin(θ_u-θ_α)##.
I am not sure how to interpret that. Maybe it makes sense in context.

What is a Fourier transform in the complex plane?

A Fourier transform in the complex plane is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex-valued function into its constituent frequencies. It can be thought of as a way to represent a function as a sum of sine and cosine waves of different frequencies.

What is the difference between a Fourier transform in the complex plane and a regular Fourier transform?

The main difference between a Fourier transform in the complex plane and a regular Fourier transform is that a regular Fourier transform deals with real-valued functions, while a Fourier transform in the complex plane can handle complex-valued functions. This allows for a more general representation of signals and systems.

Why is the complex plane used in a Fourier transform?

The complex plane is used in a Fourier transform because it allows for the representation of both magnitude and phase information of a signal. This is important as it provides more insight into the behavior of a signal and how it changes over time.

What are some applications of Fourier transform in the complex plane?

The Fourier transform in the complex plane has many applications in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. It is used to analyze and manipulate signals and systems in these fields, making it an essential tool in understanding complex phenomena.

How is the inverse Fourier transform related to the Fourier transform in the complex plane?

The inverse Fourier transform is the reverse process of the Fourier transform in the complex plane. It takes the frequency domain representation of a function and converts it back to the time domain representation. Together, these transforms allow for the analysis and synthesis of signals and systems in both the time and frequency domains.