1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

##\frac {t_{1/2}}{t_{3/4}}## for an nth order reaction

1. May 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question:
    For an nth order reaction ##\frac {t_{1/2}}{t_{3/4}}## depends on (n isn't equal to 1) :
    (A) initial concentration only
    (B) 'n' only
    (C) initial concentration and 'n' both
    (D) sometimes 'n' and sometimes initial concentration.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\frac{dc}{dt}=-kc^n##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Integrating this equation:
    (from ##C_0## to ##C## and ##0## to ##t##)
    ##\frac {1}{n-1}## ##[\frac {1}{C^{n-1}}-\frac {1}{(C_{0})^{n-1}}]=kt##
    So when ##t=t_{1/2}## then ##C=C_0/2## and when ##t=t_{3/4}## then ##C=C_0/4##
    And when we put this in the equation and devide then there is no ##C_0## in that. So why is (C) correct? (B) should be correct. Where am I wrong?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am not convinced that is correct.

What is [itex]t_{\frac 3 4}[/itex]?

4. May 5, 2015 #3
    The time in which 3/4th of the reactant is used up. Is it wrong?

5. May 5, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Used, or left? I am honestly not sure. Perhaps that's because I am still sleepy.

6. May 5, 2015 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So far as I can see you are not wrong and there is a cancellation such that only n appears in the ratio.

Where are you getting these problems from? It would be useful if your personal info included where you are.

7. May 19, 2015 #6

James Pelezo

Gold Member

I've seen reports on decay times referred to as t3/4 that refer to the time for completion of two half-lives. That is, t1/2(1) + t1/2(2) = t3/4, time required to consume 3/4 of the initial amount of reagent. However, for C = Co/4 which is the sum of two half-lives, but holds only for 1st order reactions. (for example, radioactive decay is 1st order) For n ≠ 1 each subsequent t1/2 calculated compresses or expands depending on the order of reaction being studied. Here are some trends of half-lives relative to order of reaction. For 'dependence on initial concentration', and in the light of the fact that none of the half-life equations contain a concentration term, one would have to assume (for the sake of answering the above question) that to consider a time as t1/2, one has to assume (arbitrarily) that an initial concentration value must exist so as to give meaning to the term half-life, which, I must admit, is a stretch, but is the only logical inference I could relate to the question given.

For a zero-order reaction:
    zero_order_half-life.jpg

For a 1st order reaction
    first_order_half-life.jpg

For a 2nd order reaction:
    Screen_shot_2011-03-14_at_2.02.16_PM.png

Last edited: May 19, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted