On pointwise convergence of Fourier series

psie
Homework Statement
Compute the Fourier series of $$f(t)=\begin{cases} t+\pi &-\pi <t<0\\ 0&0\le t\le \pi. \end{cases}$$ and find the sum of ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac1{(2n-1)^2}##.
Relevant Equations
There is the following theorem in this section of the book; suppose that ##f## has period ##2\pi##, and suppose that ##t_0## is a point where ##f## has one-sided limiting values and (generalized) one-sided derivatives. Then the Fourier series of ##f## converges for ##t=t_0## to the mean value ##\frac12(f(t_0+)+f(t_0-))##. In particular, if ##f## is continuous at ##t_0##, the sum of the series equals ##f(t_0)##.
So, the function is piecewise continuous (and differentiable), with (generalized) one-sided derivatives existing at the points of discontinuity. Hence I conclude from the theorem that the series converges pointwise for all ##t## to the function ##f##.

I've double checked with WolframAlpha that the coefficients are \begin{align} c_0&=\frac{\pi}{4} \nonumber \\ c_{2n}&=\frac{i}{4n}, \ n\neq0 \nonumber \\ c_{2n+1}&=\frac{i}{2(2n+1)}+\frac{1}{\pi(2n+1)^2}. \nonumber \end{align} Now, we have ##\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z} c_ne^{int}##, and I proceed with the following computation \begin{align} \sum_{n\in\mathbb Z} c_ne^{int}&=c_0+\sum_{\substack{n\in\mathbb Z \\ n\neq0}} c_{2n}e^{i2nt}+\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z}c_{2n+1}e^{i(2n+1)t} \tag1 \\ &=\frac{\pi}{4}+\sum_{\substack{n\in\mathbb Z \\ n\neq0}} \frac{i}{4n}e^{i2nt}+\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z } \left(\frac{i}{2(2n+1)}+\frac{1}{\pi(2n+1)^2}\right)e^{i(2n+1)t} \nonumber \\ &=\frac{\pi}{4}-\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{\sin(2n)t}{2n}-\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{\sin(2n+1)t}{2n+1}+\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{\cos(2n+1)t}{(2n+1)^2}\nonumber \\ &= \frac{\pi}{4}-\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{\sin nt}{n}+\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{\cos(2n-1)t}{(2n-1)^2}\nonumber. \end{align} To evaluate the sum in the problem, I set ##t=0## and keep in mind that this is a discontinuous point. I get $$\frac12(f(0+)-f(0-))=\frac{\pi}{2}=\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac1{(2n-1)^2},$$ i.e. ##\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac1{(2n-1)^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{8}##.

I'm doubting my own computation though. The equality in ##(1)##, when we split the sum into even and odd indexed sums, doesn't this require absolute convergence of the series?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does you text tell you about how to take the double limit [tex]\sum_{n \in \mathbb{Z}} c_ne^{inx} =
\lim_{M \to \infty}\lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=-M}^{N} c_{n}e^{inx}?[/tex] If you are to assume [itex]M = N[/itex] then this procedure is justified: all the necessary terms appear in the partial sum.

Last edited:
Likes psie
pasmith said:
What does you text tell you about how to take the double limit [tex]\sum_{n \in \mathbb{Z}} c_ne^{inx} =
\lim_{M \to \infty}\lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=-M}^{N} c_{n}e^{inx}?[/tex] If you are to assume [itex]M = N[/itex] then this procedure is justified: all the necessary terms appear in the partial sum.
Yes, ##M=N## is the definition in my book. Are you saying that if the right-hand side converges (at least pointwise) in $$\sum_{n=-N}^{N}c_ne^{inx}=c_0+\sum_{\substack{n=-N \\ n \text{ even}}}^N c_{n}e^{inx}+\sum_{\substack{n=-N \\ n \text{ odd}}}^N c_{n}e^{inx},$$ then we can split the sum (technically rearrange it) into sums of even and odd indexed terms? I know it holds for positive series indexed by ##\mathbb N##, but I'm not sure if it holds for alternating, possibly complex, series indexed by ##\mathbb Z##.

If the answer is yes, I assume this follow from the limit law, where ##s_n=a_n+b_n## and ##\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n, \ \lim_{n\to\infty} b_n## both exist, then $$\lim_{n\to\infty} s_n=\lim_{n\to\infty} (a_n+b_n)=\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n+\lim_{n\to\infty} b_n.$$

psie said:
Yes, ##M=N## is the definition in my book. Are you saying that if the right-hand side converges (at least pointwise) in $$\sum_{n=-N}^{N}c_ne^{inx}=c_0+\sum_{\substack{n=-N \\ n \text{ even}}}^N c_{n}e^{inx}+\sum_{\substack{n=-N \\ n \text{ odd}}}^N c_{n}e^{inx},$$ then we can split the sum (technically rearrange it) into sums of even and odd indexed terms? I know it holds for positive series indexed by ##\mathbb N##, but I'm not sure if it holds for alternating, possibly complex, series indexed by ##\mathbb Z##.

You can't do [tex]
\lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=-N}^N a_n = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{\substack{n=-N \\ n \text{ odd}}}^N a_n + \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{\substack{n=-N \\ n \text{ even}}}^N a_n[/tex] because it involves taking all even terms before (or after) all odd terms, and that is only justified if the series is absolutely convergent. You can, of course, omit from the sum any term which is zero.

(Take care when indexing odd and even terms separately. You need the index to be symmetric about zero, so taking the even term as [itex]n = 2k[/itex] is fine since [itex]-2k = 2(-k)[/itex], but taking the odd term as [itex]n = 2k+1[/itex] is not since [itex]-(2k+1) \neq 2(-k) + 1[/itex]. The index [itex]n = (-1)^k(2|k| - 1)[/itex] for [itex]|k| \geq 1[/itex] does have this property.)

If the answer is yes, I assume this follow from the limit law, where ##s_n=a_n+b_n## and ##\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n, \ \lim_{n\to\infty} b_n## both exist, then $$\lim_{n\to\infty} s_n=\lim_{n\to\infty} (a_n+b_n)=\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n+\lim_{n\to\infty} b_n.$$
This theorem only applies if [itex]\lim a_n[/itex] and [itex]\lim b_n[/itex] exist separately; here they do not.

What you can do is [tex]
\lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=-N}^N c_ne^{int} = c_0 + \lim_{N \to \infty}\sum_{n=1}^N ((c_n + c_{-n})\cos nt + i(c_n - c_{-n})\sin nt).[/tex] Now if [itex]f[/itex] is real then [itex]c_n[/itex] and [itex]c_{-n}[/itex] are complex conjugates, so this reduces to [tex]
c_0 + \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^N (2\Re(c_n) \cos nt - 2\Im(c_n)\sin nt).[/tex] Setting [itex]t = 0[/itex] makes the sine terms vanish, and [itex]\Re(c_n)[/itex] vanishes for even [itex]n[/itex] so we are justified in writing this as [tex]
\tfrac12 (f(0^{+}) + f(0^{-})) = c_0 + \lim_{K \to \infty} \sum_{k=1}^K 2\Re(c_{2k - 1}).[/tex]

Likes psie

1. What is pointwise convergence of Fourier series?

Pointwise convergence of Fourier series refers to the property that the Fourier series of a function converges to the function itself at each point in the domain of the function. This means that for every point x in the domain, the limit of the Fourier series as n approaches infinity is equal to the value of the function at x.

2. What is the significance of pointwise convergence in Fourier series?

Pointwise convergence is important because it allows us to approximate a given function using its Fourier series representation. This means that we can represent a function as an infinite sum of sines and cosines that converges to the function itself at each point, providing a useful tool for analyzing and approximating periodic functions.

3. Are all Fourier series pointwise convergent?

No, not all Fourier series are pointwise convergent. There are certain conditions that need to be satisfied for a Fourier series to converge pointwise, such as the function being piecewise continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities within a period. Functions that do not meet these conditions may not have pointwise convergence of their Fourier series.

4. How can we test for pointwise convergence of a Fourier series?

One common method for testing the pointwise convergence of a Fourier series is the Dirichlet conditions, which require the function to be piecewise continuous, have a finite number of discontinuities within a period, and have bounded variation. If these conditions are met, then the Fourier series of the function is said to converge pointwise.

5. What are some examples of functions with pointwise convergent Fourier series?

Some examples of functions with pointwise convergent Fourier series include continuous functions, piecewise continuous functions, and functions with a finite number of discontinuities within a period. These functions satisfy the necessary conditions for pointwise convergence, allowing their Fourier series to converge to the function itself at each point in the domain.