1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fraction of solute in two layers

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    Derive the following equation for the fraction of a solute in layer 1 of the 2 layers formed by two immiscible liquids;

Fraction of solute in layer 1 = (KD*V1)/((KD*V1)+V2)

where KD=Distribution coefficient for the solute between chemical in V1 and chemical in V2
    V1=Volume of liquid in layer 1
    V2=Volume of liquid in layer 2

I understand that to find the fraction of A in the total A+B you simply divide A by A+B. But how does the distribution coefficient fit into this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Distribution coefficient is a ratio of concentrations.

4. May 12, 2009 #3
    yes i have that information, im having trouble understanding how to incorporate it into the expression for the fraction of solute in each of the layers of liquid at equilibrium. Essentially i want to know where this equation comes from. Any ideas/ answers would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

5. May 12, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Write equations describing your system. Definitions of fractions won't hurt either.

6. May 22, 2009 #5
    Using the definition of KD being ratio of concentrations in the 2 layers, try writing KD in terms of solute present in the 2 layers, A & B and the volumes V1 & V2

With the equation that you've made and A/(A+B) you should be able to slove this quite neatly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook