Fractional distillation of crude oil

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Sassenav22
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What fractions of crude oil would be distilled off, if you did the fractional distillation of crude oil in a lab?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I think light petroleum and light naphtha, but I am not sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the full question?As you presented it the question seems too vague.
 
It is a planning and designing experiment to prove that crude oil can be separated into most of its components using fractional distillation in a laboratory use a fractionating column, Bunsen burner and a condenser.

I want to know what fraction of crude oil would distill off.
 
Hello sassenav,so you know that in principle most(if not all) of the fractions can be separated in the laboratory.Are you asking for the names of the fractions.Here's some going from smallest to biggest:refinery gases, petrol,paraffin, diesel,bitumen.You can get fuller details by googling.