Writing an equation for a ester formed through reflux

• Thread starter 5ymmetrica1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the reaction between 3-methyl-1-butanol and ethanoic acid produced the ester ethyl 3-methylbutanoate. The mixture was refluxed for 40 minutes and then washed with distilled water and sodium carbonate. The organic layer was then combined with calcium chloride and distilled, collecting the fraction after 120 degrees Celsius. The resulting ester had a distinct banana smell. The systematic name for the ester is ethyl 3-methylbutanoate.
5ymmetrica1

Homework Statement

write an equation for the reaction and state the systematic name of the ester formed

3-methyl-1-butanol was mixed with ethanoic acid and refluxed for approx. 40 mins

the mixture was washed in a separating funnel with distilled water, then sodium carbonate, then distilled water again.

The organic layer of the isolation was put inside a conical flask with calcium chloride and allowed to sit

then the mixture was distilled and finally I collected only the fraction that come after 120 degrees (c)

The ester had a distinct banana smell

Homework Equations

chemical equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(CH3)2CHCH2CH2OH + CH3COOH → ?1

?1 + CaCl2 → ?2

I'm really not sure how I'm supposed to do this problem, and I'm terrible with chemical equations. Can anyone help me out with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Review "Fisher Esterification". Alcohol plus carboxylic acid yields ester.

5ymmetrica1 said:

Homework Statement

(ch3)2chch2ch2oh + ch3cooh → ?1?1 + cacl2 → ?2i'm really not sure how I'm supposed to do this problem, and I'm terrible with chemical equations. Can anyone help me out with this problem?

[tex](ch_3)_2chch_2ch_2oh + ch_3cooh => h_2o + r_1coor_2[/tex]

janhaa said:
[tex](ch_3)_2chch_2ch_2oh + ch_3cooh => h_2o + r_1coor_2[/tex]

Thanks for that seems to make sense now that I've read through my textbook. I missed the classes that were on esters so I was kind of lost.

How would I get a systematic name of the organic compound formed from this?

5ymmetrica1 said:
Thanks for that seems to make sense now that I've read through my textbook. I missed the classes that were on esters so I was kind of lost.
How would I get a systematic name of the organic compound formed from this?
the esther (R1COOR2) above is general. In your example:

CH3COOCH2CH2CH(CH3)2

then you can name the esther

Last edited:

1. What is reflux and why is it used to form esters?

Reflux is a laboratory technique used to heat a reaction mixture for an extended period of time without losing any of the volatile components. This is necessary for ester formation because the reaction requires high temperatures and can take several hours to reach completion.

2. What are the starting materials needed to form an ester through reflux?

The starting materials needed for an ester formed through reflux are a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. These compounds will react together in the presence of an acid catalyst and heat to form the ester.

3. How do I determine the chemical equation for the ester formed through reflux?

To determine the chemical equation for the ester formed through reflux, first identify the carboxylic acid and alcohol used in the reaction. Then, write out the balanced equation for the esterification reaction, using the carboxylic acid as the reactant and the alcohol as the reagent.

4. Can the yield of the ester be improved by changing the reactant ratios?

Yes, the yield of the ester can be improved by changing the reactant ratios. Typically, using an excess of the alcohol will drive the reaction towards ester formation, resulting in a higher yield. However, it is important to note that using too much alcohol can also result in the formation of unwanted side products.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when performing this reaction?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when performing this reaction. Refluxing can produce high temperatures and release flammable vapors, so it is important to work in a well-ventilated area and wear appropriate protective gear. Additionally, be cautious when handling concentrated acids and alcohols, as they can be corrosive and irritate the skin and eyes.