Fractional Equation Help: Solve 3 Problems

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mikeybr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fractional
I'll post the solution if you would like.In summary, the conversation discusses three problems on the speaker's homework that they are struggling with. The first problem is to solve the equation x/x-1 - 1 = 3/x+1. The suggested approach is to get rid of the fractions by multiplying both sides of the equation by (x-1) and (x+1) respectively. The resulting equation is x(x+1)+(x-1)(x+1)=3(x-1).
Mikeybr
There are three problems on my homework I can't get quite right.

x/x-1 - 1 = 3/x+1

4/b - 1/b+3 = 3b+2/b^2+2b-3

3r+1/r+3 + 2 =5r-2/r+3

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mikeybr said:
There are three problems on my homework I can't get quite right.

x/x-1 - 1 = 3/x+1

4/b - 1/b+3 = 3b+2/b^2+2b-3

3r+1/r+3 + 2 =5r-2/r+3

Hi Mikeybr. Welcome to MHB! :)

Try posting one question at a time please and show some attempt at it. This helps us help you more efficiently. Also, be careful with parentheses!

I believe #1 is the following:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{x-1}-1=\frac{3}{x+1}\)

You could do this a few ways but the idea is to get rid of the fractions somehow. Let's first try to rewrite the first fraction by multiplying everything by $(x-1)$.

\(\displaystyle (x-1) \cdot \frac{x}{x-1} -1 \cdot (x-1) = (x-1) \cdot \frac{3}{x+1}\)

The first fraction now has \(\displaystyle \frac{x-1}{x-1}\) in it, which is 1 so that fraction is now just x. The rest of the equation is below.

\(\displaystyle x - (x-1) = \frac{3(x-1)}{x+1}\)

Now we want to change the other fraction, so we can multiply everything by $(x+1)$. Doing that we get:

\(\displaystyle x(x+1)+(x-1)(x+1)=3(x-1)\)

Can you solve from here?

What is a fractional equation?

A fractional equation is an equation that contains fractions, or numbers expressed as a ratio of two integers. These equations often involve variables and require solving for the unknown variable.

How do I solve a fractional equation?

To solve a fractional equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means doing the opposite operation to both sides of the equation to cancel out any numbers or variables. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value.

What are some common examples of fractional equations?

Some common examples of fractional equations include equations with fractions in the numerator or denominator, equations with variables on both sides, or equations with complex fractions (fractions within fractions).

What is the process for solving a fractional equation with variables on both sides?

To solve a fractional equation with variables on both sides, you must first combine like terms on each side of the equation. Then, use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Finally, solve for the variable's value by simplifying any fractions and distributing any remaining operations.

Can I check my solution for a fractional equation?

Yes, you can check your solution for a fractional equation by plugging the solution back into the original equation and simplifying both sides. If the solution is correct, both sides of the equation will be equal.