Fractional Flow Reserve and the physics behind it

In summary, the author is a Clinical Cardiac Physiologist who is trying to understand the physics behind a pressure wire study of coronary blood flow. He has been reading on PF and has come up with some assumptions about the correct way to do the study. He would like someone to help him correct the mistakes in his paper.
JuW
Have been referring to this forum a lot and I think I finally understand it. However I couldn't find a discussion specific to applying the Laws of Ohm, Poiseuille and Bernoulli's to why we use a pressure wire to study coronary blood flow through a lesion site in the coronary artery. So I made some assumptions on what I think is correct and of course assumptions is a terrible thing to do.

So I wrote it all down. It is 6 pages long. I really, really need someone to read it and help me correct my mistakes. I work in a Hospital and am a Clinical Cardiac Physiologist.

I realize 6 pages is a lot to ask someone to read. It is not homework or an assignment that I am doing. It is personal reflection. I use the equipment. I understand what the numbers mean and how to interpret it to the patient on the table but I don't understand the physics behind it. So I thought it was time I did.

My plan is to finish my write up about the physics side then present it to my other colleagues in the Hospital.

It is written on google docs. I tried to think of a way to condense it so I can add to this forum for discussion but it isn't straight forward when you add all the laws in. The complete picture needed 6 pages to let the words flow as naturally as possible.

So kinda stumped as how to get help. Should I just pasted the whole 6 pages here or do them in chunks or do something else? Anyone's thoughts on what to do would be welcome?

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

I will send you a message with my e-mail address, and you can send me a PDF copy to look over. From that we can figure out the best way to proceed. At the very least, we should be able to discuss portions of your paper, especially any sections where you have questions. Is there a bibliography listing the information sources that you used in writing up the paper?

Bibliography? Yes and no. My main reference is 'PhysicsForum'! Been reading everything I could from here. All bits and pieces that I tried to add together to gain the overall picture.

Well, for a proper paper (and especially one you want to present), you should find applicable references and annotate any technical statements you are making in the paper. Even the articles that I read in JEMS or EMS World have references for authoritative statements that are made in the articles...

https://emsworld.epubxp.com/i/1016822-sep-2018/26?

upload_2018-8-31_13-45-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-31_13-45-23.png
    upload_2018-8-31_13-45-23.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 481
Apologies to all for the delay. The OP and I are working on gathering valid references for his paper, and we will try to post focused questions in a new thread soon. This thread here is closed for now.

1. What is fractional flow reserve (FFR)?

Fractional flow reserve (FFR) is a diagnostic tool used in cardiology to measure the pressure differences across a narrowed artery. It calculates the ratio of the maximum achievable blood flow in the presence of a stenosis (narrowing) to the maximum achievable blood flow in the hypothetical absence of the stenosis.

2. How is FFR measured?

The procedure for measuring FFR involves inserting a specialized pressure wire into the coronary artery. This wire has a sensor at its tip that measures the pressure inside the artery. The wire is then advanced to the narrowed area of the artery, and the pressure is measured at rest and after the administration of a vasodilator medication.

3. What is the purpose of measuring FFR?

The primary purpose of measuring FFR is to determine the functional significance of a stenosis in the coronary artery. This means that it helps to determine if a blockage is causing a decrease in blood flow and if it requires treatment, such as stenting or bypass surgery. FFR is also used to guide treatment decisions in patients with stable coronary artery disease.

4. How does FFR relate to the physics of blood flow?

The physics behind FFR is based on the laws of fluid dynamics. The FFR value is calculated by dividing the pressure measured across the stenosis by the pressure measured before the stenosis. This ratio represents the pressure drop across the narrowed area, which is directly related to the resistance to blood flow. A lower FFR value indicates a higher resistance and a more significant blockage in the artery.

5. Are there any limitations to using FFR?

Yes, there are some limitations to using FFR. It may not accurately reflect the overall condition of the coronary artery, as it only measures the pressure at a specific location. Additionally, FFR may not be as accurate in certain conditions, such as severe coronary artery disease or in the presence of collateral vessels. It is important to interpret FFR results in conjunction with other clinical information to make treatment decisions.