1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free fall without a lot of info.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is thrown horizontally at 16m/s from a clifftop 65m above the sea level.

Find
    the time to land

2. Relevant equations

distance = Vi*t + at^2/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I separated x and y components. And tried to plug them in this formula. I thought maybe I will have 2 unknowns and will then resolve it by plugging the equation in the other. But I realized I had 3 unknowns since they don't give me the angle. So, I can't find the components of the initial speed.

Maybe, I am using the wrong formula ?

Thanks in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

"A ball is thrown horizontally..." What's the launch angle for a horizontally thrown projectile?

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    Oh wow. My problem is that, I've been in french school since I am a kid. Now that I am in an English college for the first time, all the terms and words are different. Thanks !

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

"It's like those French have a different word for everything!" -- Steve Martin :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook