Free rotating set screw attachment (like used in c-clamps)

In summary, the designer is having trouble with the insert staying in place because of the set screw/plug and thinks of c-clamps.
jwhendy
I'm designing something in which an insert fits into a piece of steel square tubing. The insert is held in place by a set screw threaded in the insert, which is in turn loc-tited into an aluminum "plug" (wider surface area) and is clamped to the inner wall of the square tubing with a hex wrench via a hole in the square tubing which allows access to the hex head.

One thing I don't like is that the integral nature of the set screw/plug tends to want to move the tubing/insert out of alignment. As you tighten, the plug is pushing to the right on the tubing and wants to push the whole insert to the left.

This made me think of c-clamps and that "swivel head" on the end. See an example here.

Is anyone aware of a screw attachment like this? Essentially a swivel-end for a screw? This would keep my force normal and prevent this undesirable lateral force on the tubing/insert.

Engineering news on Phys.org
@Q: Fantastic. We have those on some equipment at work; I'd not considered they would come in such small sizes.

How about a flexure clamp where a screw clamp two jaws together, providing even clamping around the insert? We often use this sort of thing for cylindrical motor mounts and the like.

@Mech_Engineer: I need the square tube outer profile to remain unchanged because something rides up and down on it with rollers. What you describe sounds like I'd need to clamp from outside the tubing?

You're right it would clamp outside the tubing. It was just a thought, but it sounds like you've got things in hand.

@Mech_Engineer: no problem! I appreciate the input. Many minds make light work :) Just found this forum and hope to stick around. I just googled "mechanical engineering forum" and was happy to find something for the question. Neat place.

What is a free rotating set screw attachment?

A free rotating set screw attachment, also known as a swivel pad, is a small component that is commonly used in c-clamps and other clamping tools. It is typically a metal piece with a threaded hole that can be tightened with a screw.

How does a free rotating set screw attachment work?

The free rotating set screw attachment is inserted into the end of the c-clamp and tightened with a screw. The swivel pad can rotate freely, allowing it to adjust to different angles and surfaces. This helps distribute pressure evenly and prevents damage to the object being clamped.

What are the benefits of using a free rotating set screw attachment?

There are several benefits to using a free rotating set screw attachment in c-clamps. It helps distribute pressure evenly and prevents damage to the object being clamped. It also allows for more flexibility in positioning the clamp, as the swivel pad can adjust to different angles and surfaces. Additionally, it can help increase the clamping force and stability of the c-clamp.

Can a free rotating set screw attachment be used in other tools besides c-clamps?

Yes, a free rotating set screw attachment can be used in various types of clamping tools, such as bar clamps, pipe clamps, and adjustable clamps. It can also be used in non-clamping applications, such as holding and positioning tools in place.

Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a free rotating set screw attachment?

It is important to choose the right size and type of free rotating set screw attachment for the specific tool and application. It is also essential to carefully tighten the screw to prevent it from loosening during use. Regularly checking and replacing worn or damaged swivel pads is also recommended for optimal safety and performance.