1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freeing up the variables of an equation and assigning signs to them

1. Nov 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

sqrtY^2=sqrtX^2

Solving for Y we get:

Y= X and Y= -X

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since both sides of sqrtY^2=sqrtX^2 are equal I thought the equation would solve simply as Y= X. Turns out it has also the second part Y= -X.

My questions are since both sides of the equation sqrtY^2= sqrtX^2 are EQUAL

1. why don't we just get Y=X

or

2. why Y also doesn't take the negative sign just to keep the both sides of the orginal equation in balance?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2
    Possible solutions of the equation:

y = 2 and x = -2;

y = 2 and x = 2;

y = -2 and x = 2.

4. Nov 8, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

[itex]\sqrt{y^2} = \sqrt{x^2} \Rightarrow y^2 = x^2[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow y^2 - x^2 = 0 \Rightarrow (y - x)(y + x) = 0[/itex]
    The solutions of the last equation are y = x and y = -x.

5. Nov 8, 2011 #4
    Amazing!!!

6. Nov 8, 2011 #5

Mark44

Why is that amazing?

7. Nov 8, 2011 #6
    Well, because I didn't even think about factoring and finding the zeros. Simple and elegant.

X^2- Y^2=0 was given.

What I did was X^2=Y^2, then sqrtX^2=sqrtY^2 to "liberate" the variables Y and X. Then I got stuck with the signs the variable X took, what with X being both positive and negative.

So someone, in another forum, explained it with "Because Y = -X is also a solution. √(2²) = √((-2)²), for example" which was very helpful too. I just never thought about factoring.

Anyway, thank you, people!

8. Nov 8, 2011 #7

Mark44

If you started with x2 - y2 = 0, then the quickest approach is to factor the left side, and not messing around taking square roots.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook