Finding equation of tangent line

• Thread starter Dank2
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The following point (x0,y0), is on the curve sqrtx +sqrty = 1

Show that line equation of the tangent line in the point. (x0,y0)
Is x/sqrtx0 + y/sqrty0 = 1

I've found the slope which is
-sqrty/sqrtx.
So slope of the point is -sqrty0/sqrtx0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y-y0=-sqrty0/sqrtx0(x-x0)

Should I get the solution from the equation above?

Answers and Replies

Maybe it's easier if you model the problem as one of "one" variable. If you write it as a function y of x, then it is [itex]y=x-2\sqrt{x}+1[/itex], do you know what the tangent if this is at an arbitrary point? Try to look at the equation for the tangentplane of a [itex]\textbf{R}^3[/itex]-function. The tangent-plane for such an equation at an arbitrary point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] is [itex]f_{tangent}=\nabla f(x_0,y_0,z_0)\cdot(x-x_0,y-y_0,z-z_0)=0[/itex]

Haven't det with R3 yet. All we have learned is finding the slope and then using the formula y-y0 = m(x-x0)

Haven't det with R3 yet. All we have learned is finding the slope and then using the formula y-y0 = m(x-x0)
SOunds as if you know what you're doing, you just need to put the pieces of the puzzle together. :)

SOunds as if you know what you're doing, you just need to put the pieces of the puzzle together. :)
I think need a hint,

Is it like rw
is it like really easy to show from the equation I've written? I'm not sure which of the 4 variables should I substitute , I can't see how to get even 1 there

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Is it like rw

is it like really easy to show from the equation I've written? I'm not sure which of the 4 variables should I substitute , I can't see how to get even 1 there

You do not have 4 variables; you have only 2--namely x and y. These are the two objects that vary along the curve and along the tangent line. The other two objects (##x_0,y_0##) are just some constant input parameters. They do NOT vary along the curve or along the tangent line.

Thread moved. @Dank2, questions involving derivatives should NOT be posted in the Precalc section.

You do not have 4 variables; you have only 2--namely x and y. These are the two objects that vary along the curve and along the tangent line. The other two objects (##x_0,y_0##) are just some constant input parameters. They do NOT vary along the curve or along the tangent line.

I meant I do not know which constant or variable should I subtitude in order to get the right form, from the main equation y= (1-sqrtx)^2 , y0=(1-sqrtx0)^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to look at the equation for the tangentplane of a [itex]\textbf{R}^3[/itex]-function. The tangent-plane for such an equation at an arbitrary point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] is [itex]f_{tangent}=\nabla f(x_0,y_0,z_0)\cdot(x-x_0,y-y_0,z-z_0)=0[/itex]
IMO, and this is not a helpful hint.

Show that line equation of the tangent line in the point. (x0,y0)
Is x/sqrtx0 + y/sqrty0 = 1

I've found the slope which is
-sqrty/sqrtx.
So slope of the point is -sqrty0/sqrtx0
The slope at the point ##(x_0, y_0)## is ##\frac{-\sqrt{y_0}}{\sqrt{x_0}}##.
You know the point -- ##(x_0, y_0)## -- and you know the slope of the tangent line there -- ##\frac{-\sqrt{y_0}}{\sqrt{x_0}}##. Finding the equation of a line through a given point and with a known slope should be straightforward.

The slope at the point ##(x_0, y_0)## is ##\frac{-\sqrt{y_0}}{\sqrt{x_0}}##.
You know the point -- ##(x_0, y_0)## -- and you know the slope of the tangent line there -- ##\frac{-\sqrt{y_0}}{\sqrt{x_0}}##. Finding the equation of a line through a given point and with a known slope should be straightforward.

Yes it is (y-y_0)=−√y0/√x0*(x-x_0). but i need to show it equals :
x/√x_0 + y/√y_0 = 1

Last edited:
(y-y_0)=−√y0/√x0*(x-x_0) ==> y-y_0 = −√y_0*x/√x0 −√y_0*x_0/√x0
i think that somehow i need to use y=x−2√x+1 from the main equation, i just struggle on this point to do the algebra

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Yes it is (y-y_0)=−√y0/√x0*(x-x_0). but i need to show it equals :
x/√x_0 + y/√y_0 = 1
You have ##\sqrt{y_0}## in your first equation and ##1/\sqrt{y_0}## in your second equation. How, then, can you get from the first to the second?

and 1/√y01/y01/\sqrt{y_0} in your second equation.

1/√y_0 ? can't see it

Last edited:
You have ##\sqrt{y_0}## in your first equation and ##1/\sqrt{y_0}## in your second equation. How, then, can you get from the first to the second?

i need a hint

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
1/√y_0 ? can't see it

You said you wanted to verify that ##x/\sqrt{x_0} + y/\sqrt{y_0} = 1##.

that the tangent line equation at the point (x_0, y_0) is equal to it yes.

i need to proof it

i tried coming from the general equation of the tangent line by slope and point, and it didn't come out good.

So it's not trivial?

I think we're waiting for you to finish the problem.
I still need a hint regarding the algebra, if that's not asking for much.

I think we're waiting for you to finish the problem.
The issue for me is that from the slope and point equation, I can subtitute y for x, x for y, or y_0 for x_0 or x_0 for y_0 ,
Using the equation y= (1- sqrtx)^2
Or same equation with y_0 and x_0 since this point is on the graph, is that right?

The issue for me is that from the slope and point equation, I can subtitute y for x, x for y, or y_0 for x_0 or x_0 for y_0 ,
Using the equation y= (1- sqrtx)^2
Or same equation with y_0 and x_0 since this point is on the graph, is that right?
Sort of, although what you wrote isn't clear. You can't just replace y with x or x with y, but you can replace y with ##(1 - \sqrt{x})^2)## and you can replace ##y_0## with ##(1 - \sqrt{x_0})^2)##.

Your work would be easier to read if you used LaTeX. If you click on any of the expressions I wrote using LaTeX, you can see my script that produces it.

For example, this -- ##\sqrt{y_0}## renders as ##\sqrt{y_0}##.

BTW, I'm wondering if there's a mistake in the problem statement. I am getting ##\frac{y}{\sqrt{y_0}} + \frac{x}{\sqrt{x_0}} = 2##, not 1 as in post #1. It's possible I have an error.

The problem would be slightly easier if instead of the point ##(x_0, y_0)## we use the point (a, b).