French-English Mathematics Dictionary

• Thread starter alexfloo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, a "French-English Mathematics Dictionary" is a reference book that lists and defines mathematical terms in both French and English languages. It is useful for those studying mathematics in both languages or working with others who speak a different language in the field. Students, teachers, and professionals can benefit from using this dictionary. It is different from a regular dictionary as it is specific to mathematical terms and includes translations. There are online versions available with additional features such as audio pronunciations and search functions.
alexfloo
I'm looking for a good technical French-English math dictionary (preferably online). I've found a number, but most them are pretty non-technical. The word I'm looking for most immediately is "sheaf," if anyone knows the translation, but it'd be nice to have a more general resource in any case. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Merci, micro! Et je déduis que 'noyau' veut dire 'kernel;' c'est vrai?

I understand the importance of having accurate and reliable resources when it comes to technical terminology. I would recommend using a reputable online dictionary such as the Oxford Mathematics Dictionary or the Cambridge Dictionary of Mathematics. These resources are known for their technical accuracy and comprehensive coverage of mathematical terms. Additionally, you can also consult with experts in the field or reach out to academic institutions for recommendations on reliable French-English math dictionaries. As for the translation of "sheaf," it is commonly translated as "faisceau" in French. However, it is always best to double-check with multiple sources to ensure the accuracy of the translation.

1. What is a "French-English Mathematics Dictionary"?

A "French-English Mathematics Dictionary" is a reference book that lists and defines mathematical terms in both French and English languages.

2. Why would someone need a "French-English Mathematics Dictionary"?

Someone may need a "French-English Mathematics Dictionary" if they are studying mathematics in both French and English, or if they need to communicate or work with others who speak a different language in their mathematical field.

3. Who can benefit from using a "French-English Mathematics Dictionary"?

Students, teachers, and professionals in the mathematics field can benefit from using a "French-English Mathematics Dictionary" to improve their understanding and communication of mathematical concepts in different languages.

4. How is a "French-English Mathematics Dictionary" different from a regular dictionary?

A "French-English Mathematics Dictionary" is specific to mathematical terms and includes definitions and translations in both French and English languages, whereas a regular dictionary may only have general definitions and translations.

5. Are there any online versions of a "French-English Mathematics Dictionary" available?

Yes, there are several online versions of a "French-English Mathematics Dictionary" available, including websites, apps, and downloadable versions. These can be convenient for quick reference and may also include additional features such as audio pronunciations and search functions.