Freud's psychoanalysis and a Freudian slip

• Medical
  • Thread starter Vrbic
  • Start date
Summary:
Are Freud ideas still relevant, especially the phenomenon called Freudian slip?
A Freudian slip, also called parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that occurs due to the interference of an unconscious subdued wish or internal train of thought. The concept is part of classical psychoanalysis. [Wikipedia]

My question is whether this phenomenon is real. Are there any relevant studies that confirm this phenomenon?

And generally, is Freud's psychoanalysis accepted in the present science community?

Thank you for any comments.

Answers and Replies

• Informative
Likes bhobba and Tom.G
...whether this phenomenon is real.
While it's real, you are not qualified to decide if something is a Freudian slip or just a 'regular' slip.

If you try to 'analyse' anything based on this the result will likely tell more about your unconscious thoughts than about the victim of your experiment.

...is Freud's psychoanalysis accepted in the present science community?
Psychoanalysis in general is considered a kind of 'borderline' in science. It has too many interesting results, but cannot be made into 'real' science.

Ps.: maybe you can call it a 'school of thought'. And so Freud is 'old school' o0)

• Informative
Likes bhobba, Vrbic and pinball1970
Psychoanalysis in general is considered a kind of 'borderline' in science. It has too many interesting results, but cannot be made into 'real' science.

Exactly. My GP goes as far as to say it has been debunked. My psychiatrist says not so much debunked as outdated. What is predominantly used these days is Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT). The doctor chats with you about various things trying to probe any inconsistencies/views you may not be aware of that create issues in your life.

I think the current view is a 'Freudian slip' is simply an inconsistency you have in your world view etc a psychiatrist/psychologist notes that may require CBT to rectify.

Thanks
Bill

• Informative
Likes Rive and phinds
Laroxe
Science Advisor
I suppose in situations in which we are not really attending to our speech or if emotional arousal is reducing control it is entirely possible to say something which is a better reflection of your concerns. The thing is that as an observation this doesn't require a dynamic unconscious to explain it, its more about attentional processes and self monitoring.
The observation isnt debunked, its the explination that might be flawed, it seems unnecessarily complicated.

A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.

• Haha
Likes bhobba, BillTre and jedishrfu