Friday the 13th need i be worried

• Thread starter sportsstar469
  • Start date
In summary, this article has a few problems - the data is limited, and it's possible that other factors are at play. There's also the fact that the authors claim to have found a 'curse' on Friday the 13th, which makes me skeptical. Overall, I don't think it's very credible.
sportsstar469
ok so i am having a colonoscopy/upper gi on the 13th of this month...sounds fun as it is...i am worried enough aabout that as its my first hospitalvisit/anesthesia visit.

anyway..i know you are all scientists..and you guys are probably not superstitious..and u are logical...

with that being ssaid..i won't ask fi you believe in superstition...what iwill ask ..is for you to please evavluate the post below and tell me what your opinions on getting this done on this date are..thanks

''also i found this post on a site...tell me what you think...

''Skeptics are prone to saying that it's only a superstition, which is true, so it won't have any effect on your surgery, which is not true. Surgery is done by a doctor, who is human and who may be superstitious. There is an increased chance, just based on that, that it may be 'unlucky' to have surgery on Friday the 13th.

People, even people who don't believe Friday the 13th has a supernatural significance, tend towards having more stress on days they are culturally aware are considered 'bad'.

Personally I don't believe Friday the 13th has any supernatural significance but being skeptical I can't allow myself to then assume it has no behavioral significance. Doing a little research confirms that it does. A British medical study advises not getting surgery on Friday the 13th.
Reference: Both of these sources are British, but I would assume the behavioral patterns would be consistent with the US:
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/DASL/Datafiles/F ridaythe13th.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/82929 46

But buyer beware, people might also be more careful on Friday the 13th:
http://www.thestar.com/living/article/44 2746''' ''

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sportsstar469 said:
Surgery is done by a doctor, who is human and who may be superstitious. There is an increased chance, just based on that, that it may be 'unlucky' to have surgery on Friday the 13th.
Especially if the doctors name is dr. F Krueger

Both of these sources are British, but I would assume the behavioral patterns would be consistent with the US:
Friday 13th seems to only be a British thing - just make sure your doctor is Indian

my doctors a white guy..i know he speaks greek so possibly greek but prob not.

should icancel the procedure? I am 20 and suspect i have chrons disease.

I can tell you have a significant amount of apprehension about this procedure - I read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=415518" in the medical forum. In that thread, nothing anyone said to you helped to ease your mind. I wonder if anything anyone says here will comfort you.

Docs are not a superstitious bunch, in my observation. They rely on their skill and knowledge to perform their jobs, not the supernatural - a result of their rigorous training.

lisab said:
I can tell you have a significant amount of apprehension about this procedure - I read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=415518" in the medical forum. In that thread, nothing anyone said to you helped to ease your mind. I wonder if anything anyone says here will comfort you.

Docs are not a superstitious bunch, in my observation. They rely on their skill and knowledge to perform their jobs, not the supernatural - a result of their rigorous training.
it eased my mind..i just was not 100 percent eased. i just had a lot of questions. ur right though i do have a lot of apprehension

so u think that post i linked to is BS?

btw colonoscopy/upper gi is supposedly cake for gastros anyway...just can't help but take that post seriously..its got some strong words.

sportsstar469 said:
it eased my mind..i just was not 100 percent eased. i just had a lot of questions. ur right though i do have a lot of apprehension

so u think that post i linked to is BS?

btw colonoscopy/upper gi is supposedly cake for gastros anyway...just can't help but take that post seriously..its got some strong words.

Well the links don't work well, I can't get the last one to work at all.

But yes, I think it's BS. Right off the bat I can think of several problems - too few data points...and there can be confounding factors due to the limited scope of the study. For example, at my work we're paid on the 15th of each month. When the 15th falls on a Sunday, we're paid on the Friday before (that would be the 13th). Perhaps it's the same in this area. So maybe the uptick in accidents is from people taking their paychecks and going out for drinks, resulting in an increase in drunk driving and hence, an increase in traffic accidents compared to the Friday before.

That they can actually publish the following makes my eyes roll:

CONCLUSIONS: Friday 13th is unlucky for some. The risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident may be increased by as much as 52%. Staying at home is recommended.

Jeez :rolleyes:.

mgb_phys said:
Another one to avoid is Dr. N Competent, and gee, thanks for telling me years after the fact! I had my wisdom teeth taken on a Friday the 13th. The dentist left what he thought was the easiest one for last. Turned out that if he had X-rayed that tooth from another angle he would have seen something other than the short stubby root he happened to see. He would have seen nasty fishhook-shaped root snaking its way 'round some other roots.

D H said:
Another one to avoid is Dr. N Competent, and gee, thanks for telling me years after the fact! I had my wisdom teeth taken on a Friday the 13th. The dentist left what he thought was the easiest one for last. Turned out that if he had X-rayed that tooth from another angle he would have seen something other than the short stubby root he happened to see. He would have seen nasty fishhook-shaped root snaking its way 'round some other roots.

are u guys joking cause its ill be alright

nowadays must doctors are n competent.

That said, that Dr. N Competent would have screwed up my mouth any day. I learned after the fact that his lack of skill was not limited to Friday the 13ths.

Have the colonoscopy. The only day to fear with a colonoscopy on Friday the 13th is Thursday the 12th (dread that purple juice). Colonoscopies are safe procedures that save a lot of lives. Just make sure you don't do anything of consequence after the procedure. Don't drive, don't do much of anything. You will feel that you are quite fine, mentally and physically. Don't be fooled! One of the drugs administered during the procedure blasts your short-term memory away for a good 8 to 12 hours. My wife double-paid the mortgage the day she got her first colonoscopy.

sportsstar469 said:
are u guys joking cause its ill be alright

nowadays must doctors are n competent.

Is Jason Voorhees your MD ?

lisab said:
For example, at my work we're paid on the 15th of each month. When the 15th falls on a Sunday, we're paid on the Friday before (that would be the 13th). Perhaps it's the same in this area. So maybe the uptick in accidents is from people taking their paychecks and going out for drinks, resulting in an increase in drunk driving and hence, an increase in traffic accidents compared to the Friday before.
That's a clever hypothesis. But it also means there should similarly be a high incidence of accidents on a Friday the 14th/15th. Does the data support that?

While it is significant that about 10% of Americans1 admit to being superstitious about Friday the 13th (I suspect there could be more), I couldn't easily make a good guess about whether this makes them more careful and vigilant on that particular day or more freaked out and unpredictable.

1. http://www.skepdic.com/paraskevidekatriaphobia.html

Sportsstar, go get the procedure. I've had 3 done and can't wait for my next one. I'm not kidding. The after effects of the sedation make you feel good all day.

Evo said:
Sportsstar, go get the procedure. I've had 3 done and can't wait for my next one. I'm not kidding. The after effects of the sedation make you feel good all day.

you got conscious sedation right? I am getting propofol. either way,im also having an upper gi.

i just hope they find the problem..i actually kinda hope i have chrons..it would explain a lot...besides stomachidk how I am going to get the prep down. I am using movi prep. I've been gaggign on regular food lately...idk how ill get this ddown when i can't eat regularly

Ordinarily, I would advise you not to worry. As is well known, it takes 27 muscles to worry but only 14 to ... um, unworry. Since using muscles is a bad thing, you really shouldn't worry about anything. However, in this case, if you don't worry, then you wouldn't consider getting the colonoscopy in the first place. This is bad for the health of the colonoscopy industry. So you should worry, but only worry enough to get the colonscopy, don't worry about why your doctor carries a rabbit's foot and schedules his basket cases for Friday the 13th.

sportsstar469 said:
''Skeptics are prone to saying that it's only a superstition, which is true, so it won't have any effect on your surgery, which is not true. Surgery is done by a doctor, who is human and who may be superstitious. There is an increased chance, just based on that, that it may be 'unlucky' to have surgery on Friday the 13th.

People, even people who don't believe Friday the 13th has a supernatural significance, tend towards having more stress on days they are culturally aware are considered 'bad'.

I wouldn't worry about this kind of crazy logic. I could say that, even if that effect were significant (which I doubt it is), it could very well be offset by the attitude of a doctor (who is a scientific minded person generally) to prove the superstition wrong.

Really though, all the professionals involved in your procedure are going to be focused on doing a good job for you. If not, then you have bigger problems with your colonoscopy/upper-GI than the date and day of the procedure.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Ordinarily, I would advise you not to worry. As is well known, it takes 27 muscles to worry but only 14 to ... um, unworry. Since using muscles is a bad thing, you really shouldn't worry about anything. However, in this case, if you don't worry, then you wouldn't consider getting the colonoscopy in the first place. This is bad for the health of the colonoscopy industry. So you should worry, but only worry enough to get the colonscopy, don't worry about why your doctor carries a rabbit's foot and schedules his basket cases for Friday the 13th.
haha i was originally scheduled for the 20th of july but iinjured my back to the point i was crippled..and no way i was getting it done in that much pain where i was barely moving

It would be much worse luck, if you did not have these procedures done. Perhaps you should take responsibility, for your own luck. A early diagnosis, or a clean bill of health, is about as good as luck gets when it comes to bowl conditions.

sportsstar469 said:
anyway..i know you are all scientists..and you guys are probably not superstitious..and u are logical...

I thought I would add something about this. As you say, I'm not superstitious and I am mostly logical. In fact, I don't believe in bad luck, nor do I believe in people who can see or predict the future. However, several years ago, my wife was going to have a major surgery and I was worried. I went to see a local palm reader, which is something I would never do normally, except as a form of entertainment. However, this time I went with a specific purpose. As much as I don't believe, I knew the woman would tell me that everything would be OK. So, I payed 5 bucks to hear this, and it did, in fact, relieve my stress. Hey, it was cheaper than medications. :smile:

Anyway, I mention this simply because, if you are really worried, you can counteract one superstition with another. Go to a palm-reader and have her tell you that there is no need to worry. Not a bad use of 5 dollars if you ask me. No matter how many logical people here tell you what you want to hear, for free. You really need to hear it from a person of a different profession. I'm half joking, but you might want to consider it, because it worked for this logical person.

sportsstar,don't worry,be happy.Go in,get it done and afterwards you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

mgb_phys said:

Friday 13th seems to only be a British thing - just make sure your doctor is Indian

:rofl:

So sportsstar, how did it go?

1. Is Friday the 13th really considered an unlucky day?

There is no scientific evidence to support the belief that Friday the 13th is an unlucky day. It is simply a superstition that has been passed down through cultural traditions.

2. Why is Friday the 13th considered unlucky?

The origin of this superstition is uncertain, but it may have roots in Norse mythology where 12 gods were having a feast when a 13th god, Loki, arrived uninvited and caused chaos.

3. Are there more accidents or bad luck on Friday the 13th?

Studies have shown that there is no increase in accidents or bad luck on Friday the 13th compared to any other day. This is likely due to the fact that it is simply a superstition and not based on any scientific evidence.

4. Should I avoid making important decisions on Friday the 13th?

There is no reason to avoid making important decisions on Friday the 13th. Your chances of success or failure are not influenced by the date on the calendar.

5. Is there any way to reverse bad luck on Friday the 13th?

Since Friday the 13th is simply a superstition, there is no scientific way to reverse or prevent bad luck on this day. The best course of action is to go about your day as you normally would and not give in to irrational fears.