Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friend and Profile Visitor Messages

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Friend" and "Profile Visitor Messages"

I have some questions about the new "notifications".

What does being a "friend" mean? Are there easier ways to communicate with "friends" than "private messaging" that anyone can use?

I have started getting a number of "Profile Visitor Messages" that are really just the same as "private messages", asking me to solve a problem for them or asking about an earlier post. But, unlike "private messages" there does not appear to be any way to "reply" automatically to "profile visitor messages". Is there any way to do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: "Friend" and "Profile Visitor Messages"

You can block unwanted "visitor messages" and only allow people you have listed as friends to message you. Of course any request for private homework help should be refused and the member instructed to post in the homework forum, after all, that's why we are here.

To reply to a visitor message, you can click on "view conversation" and type a response that will appear in their message box.

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thank, evo, I appreciate it.

5. Dec 7, 2008 #4

clem

Science Advisor

What does it mean to "be a friend"? Why is it different than just exchanging private messages?

6. Dec 7, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think its particularly different but you can keep track of friends easier through your contact pop-up and contacts list. Also if you restrict visitor and private messages to friends and mentors then you can add which users you want to be able to contact you by Pm, e-mail or visitor messaging. So it is useful in that sense if you don't want people you do not know on the forum contacting you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?