Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visitor messaging and friend profile blocks

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    Visitor messaging and a friend block has been added to member profiles

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you explain what visitor messaging is? It's clearly something different from PMs, but I'm not sure what it does, other than I noticed the messages are rather ephemeral.

I like getting to approve friends, because it seems friendly to know someone wants to add you as a friend. Not so nice blocking them from being a friend (does that actually do anything functional, like block PMs from an undesired pest?)

4. Jun 10, 2008 #3
    visitor messaging is public and similiar to the facebook wall.

5. Jun 10, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If I understand the visitor messaging, it means someone can add a comment or comments to one's profile page.

6. Jun 10, 2008 #5
    There is a setting in usercp options to restrict comments to only those who you are friends with

7. Jun 10, 2008 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have been avoiding face book for the past three years of college out of principle and finally it paid off! I have a PF wall instead of a Facebook wall! Much better!:approve:

8. Jun 10, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what changes when you approve someone as your friend?

9. Jun 10, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They show up in your friend's list on your profile, and according to the above, it lets them post visitor messages on your profile even if you block others. I need to play more...Greg's probably dying of laughter at my initial confusion over visitor messages as I stumbled around trying to figure out what they even were.

10. Jun 10, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh, ok, thanks. Feel free to test stuff out on me while you're figuring it all out.

11. Jun 10, 2008 #10

Evo

If anyone figures out what it does, aside from what Moonbear mentioned, let me know.

You can always delete unwanted comments, supposedly.

12. Jun 10, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

where's the poke button?

13. Jun 10, 2008 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:rofl: don't.. can you imagine the number of unwanted pokes people would get! "oi, this guy isn't helping me with my homework fast enough .. poke.."

14. Jun 10, 2008 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Good point!

15. Jun 20, 2008 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, so that's what's up. You know, I should check my messages and notifications more often. There was a couple PMs from April that I never even noticed.

Seems like a cool idea, I guess. I don't spend much time on Facebook or MySpace, etc., so I was wondering ....

16. Jun 21, 2008 #15

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure whether this was intentional or not, but it seems that non-contributors are now able to set profile pictures.

17. Jun 21, 2008 #16

Evo

I noticed that. Apparently there are a lot of "features" that we are unaware of and a few that need to be fixed.

18. Jun 21, 2008 #17

RonL

Gold Member

May I use you as a test bed also ??:devil::biggrin::blushing:, not knowing what things do , I have been so reluctant to try them.

RonL

19. Jun 21, 2008 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, no problem. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?