From Cognitive Science to Physics

In summary, the speaker is a student studying Cognitive Science in Germany who is interested in Quantum Physics and wants to do research on human consciousness. However, they have a limited background in physics and are unsure of how to pursue a Master's degree in physics. They mention a book by physicist Roger Penrose as a potential resource and suggest joining a multi-disciplinary team for employment opportunities.
SmokinC
Hi,

I am studying Cognitive Science in Germany and I am going to graduate next summer. But now I do not know what to do next.
Or more precisely I do not know how to go on. I am very interested in Quantum Physics and somehow I regret that I have not study physics in the first place (nevertheless Cognitive Science and Neuroscience is pretty interesting), because it is extremely hard or maybe even impossible to do a Masters degree in physics with a Bachelor in Neuroscience. More detailed I want to do research on human consciousness (and probably conscious AI^^ as well) and to my mind macroscopic neuronal processes and related chemical processes are not sufficient alone to explain human consciousness (and other related stuff like Qualia), rather to my mind Quantum Physics plays a key role in conscious phenomena. But my problem is I do not know anything about Quantum Physics (except wikipedia blabla) but I definitely want to study it. How?

Do I have to start all over again and begin a physics bachelor? I do not really want to consider that as an option because for sure the first year of every bachelor's degree deals more with getting used to university than real studying, further I do want to avoid redundant repetition of courses, like basic statistics, basic math and introduction to computing etc. Further losing 3 more years seems to me extremely scary, because I am already 22 and I do not want to get my PHD in my mid thirties :(.

Are there any kinds of conversion courses for science students that only have a low background in physics to qualify them for Master studies in Physics. I favour a Master in Loughborough in Quantum Information and Computing or in Psychophysics, unfortunately the postgraduate adviser told me that a physics background is mandatory.

How can I compensate for my poor physics background? Is there any fast way to acquire sufficient knowledge to start a Master in Physics?
It seems odd that if you are a physicist almost every Neuroscience Master welcomes you but the other round it's pretty hard. :(

Thank You very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The physicist Roger Penrose is the main man in this area and fortunately he writes good books that are great for able scientists in other fields. Try 'The Road to Reality' - if you read that you will know enough physics to start to do what you want to do! You will know enough quantum physics to be able to talk to physicists, though perhaps not enough to do detailed calculations - couldn't you join a multi-disciplinary team where you are the resident neuro-scientist doing the actual brain analysis bits and pieces that physicists wouldn't know how to do? I vaguely remember that Penrose worked with a neuro-scientist to get help on how the brain works - so check out what the people in Penrose's group do, maybe you can suss out employment opportunities that way. The guy who helped Penrose was Hameroff, I just remembered:

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/personal.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear student,

It is great to hear about your interest in both Cognitive Science and Quantum Physics. Both fields are fascinating and have much to contribute to our understanding of human consciousness. It is understandable that you may feel unsure about your next steps after graduation, but I would like to offer some suggestions and advice to help you pursue your interests in Quantum Physics.

Firstly, I would like to assure you that it is not impossible to pursue a Master's degree in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in Neuroscience. While it may require some extra effort and preparation, it is certainly achievable. Many universities offer conversion courses or bridging programs for students with a different undergraduate background to qualify for a Master's degree in Physics. These programs may cover the necessary foundational courses in physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, to prepare you for a Master's program. I would recommend researching universities that offer such programs and contacting their admissions office for more information.

Additionally, there are online resources and self-study materials available to help you brush up on your physics knowledge and prepare for a Master's program. You may also consider taking some introductory physics courses at a local community college to supplement your knowledge. It is important to keep in mind that a strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for understanding and excelling in physics, so make sure to dedicate time to improve in that area as well.

I would also suggest reaching out to professors or researchers in the field of Quantum Physics and expressing your interest in their work. They may be able to provide you with guidance and resources to help you prepare for a Master's program. Additionally, they may be open to mentoring you or allowing you to work as a research assistant in their lab, which would provide you with valuable hands-on experience and further deepen your understanding of the subject.

Lastly, do not let your age or the length of time it may take to complete a Master's degree discourage you. Pursuing your passion and expanding your knowledge is always worth the time and effort. Remember, it is never too late to continue learning and growing in your field of interest.

I wish you all the best in your academic journey and hope you are able to achieve your goals in studying Quantum Physics. Keep your passion and determination strong, and you will surely succeed.

Best regards,

1. What is the relationship between cognitive science and physics?

The relationship between cognitive science and physics is complex and multidimensional. Both fields study the natural world, but they approach it from different perspectives. Cognitive science focuses on understanding the human mind and how it processes information, while physics studies the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. However, there are areas of overlap, such as the study of consciousness and the role of the brain in physical processes.

2. How can cognitive science inform our understanding of physics?

Cognitive science can provide insights into how the human mind perceives and interprets the physical world, which can in turn inform our understanding of physics. For example, cognitive scientists have studied how our brains process visual information, which has led to a better understanding of how we perceive motion and depth in the physical world. Additionally, cognitive science can help us understand the limitations and biases of human perception and cognition, which can be important considerations in physics experiments and theories.

3. What are some current areas of research at the intersection of cognitive science and physics?

Some current areas of research at the intersection of cognitive science and physics include the study of consciousness, the role of the brain in quantum mechanics, and the application of cognitive science principles to improve our understanding of complex physical systems. Researchers are also exploring how cognitive science can inform the development of new technologies, such as artificial intelligence and brain-computer interfaces.

4. How do theories and concepts from cognitive science and physics overlap?

There is not a direct overlap of theories and concepts between cognitive science and physics, as they are distinct fields with different focuses. However, there are some concepts that are relevant to both, such as information processing, emergence, and complexity. Additionally, theories from cognitive science, such as the theory of mind and embodied cognition, can have implications for our understanding of physical systems and phenomena.

5. What are the potential applications of combining cognitive science and physics?

The potential applications of combining cognitive science and physics are vast and varied. By better understanding how the human mind works and how it interacts with the physical world, we can potentially improve our understanding of physical theories and phenomena. Additionally, this interdisciplinary approach can lead to advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields. By combining the strengths of both fields, we can gain a deeper understanding of the natural world and potentially solve some of its most complex problems.