Transfer of community college/university course credits in physics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
veil
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
Hi people, I got data science trainer job in Reston, Virginia. I am thinking of joining any community college/evening college/university courses in physics so that I can use these credits when I apply for my masters in computational physics/earth sciences. I am from computer science background so thinking of doing these courses would include physics credits in my profile. Do US/European universities consider these credits when a student apply for the physics/earth science program?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The registrar of the place you want to transfer the credits into can tell you what they will and will not accept. Note that most community colleges do not offer much beyond 1st year physics.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and veil
In some states, community colleges are part of the state university system, or closely coordinated. This makes it easy to transfer course credit from a CC to a state university. The course descriptions and catalog numbers may even be the same.

Otherwise, the receiving institution evaluates courses for transfer credit according to their policies. When I was department chairman at a small 4-year college, one of my duties was doing those evaluations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PhDeezNutz and veil