Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From continuity to homeomorphism, compactness in domain

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    Is this claim true? Assume that [itex]X,Y[/itex] are topological spaces, and that all closed subsets of [itex]X[/itex] are compact. Then all continuous bijections [itex]f:X\to Y[/itex] are homeomorphisms.

It looks true on my notebook, but I don't have a reference, and I don't trust my skills. Just checking.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is this useful theorem that says "If X is compact and Y is Hausdorff, then any continuous bijection f:X-->Y is a homeo" and the proof goes like this:

to show: f(C) is closed for all C in X closed. Take such a C. Since X is compact, C is compact, so f(C) is compact. But compact sets in a Hausdroff and closed, QED.

Observe that to say that all closed subsets of X are compact is equivalent to saying that X is compact. So, modulo Y being Hausdorff, your claim is the above theorem.
  4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    I see. I must have used the Hausdorff assumption without noticing it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?