From Physics to Engineering Help?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transitioning from a B.S. in Biophysics to a M.S. or Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering. It is confirmed that this is possible and that a degree in Biomedical Engineering is not necessary to work as a Biomedical Engineer. The speaker also mentions their interest in Cardiovascular Engineering and their plans for independent research in this field. They express a desire to work with a math major and develop mathematical models for heart valves. They question whether their background in Biophysics will prepare them for this career path, to which the short answer is yes.
tjfloyd
I am currently an Undergrad student studying Biophysics, wanting to pursue a career in medical research. Is it possible to go from a B.S. in Biophysics to a M.S. or Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering? Do I have to have a degree in Biomedical Engineering to be a Biomedical Engineer? My main research interest is Cardiovascular Engineering. I am about to start independent research in Cardiovascular physics, studying biomaterials and tissue engineering methods that can be used to make heart valves. I also want to work with a math major and develop mathematical models to represent the mechanics of the heart valve, in order to develop more efficient valves. Am I on the right track? Will Biophysics prepare me for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
tjfloyd said:
1.) Is it possible to go from a B.S. in Biophysics to a M.S. or Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering?

2.) Do I have to have a degree in Biomedical Engineering to be a Biomedical Engineer?

Short Answer: 1.) Yes. 2.) No.

Long Answer: BME is still a burgeoning field and to be honest the majority of faculty in the BME department at my school are actually physics PhD's. That being said you will need to pick up some different skills along the way associated with switching to a different profession.

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. Engineering, on the other hand, involves the application of these principles to design and build systems, structures, and devices to solve practical problems.

2. How does physics contribute to engineering?

Physics provides the foundation for understanding the physical world and how it works. This knowledge is essential for engineers to develop innovative solutions and designs for complex problems.

3. Can an engineer be successful without a strong background in physics?

While a strong understanding of physics is highly beneficial for engineers, it is possible to be successful without it. However, having a solid foundation in physics can help engineers approach problems and develop solutions more effectively.

4. What are some examples of how physics is applied in engineering?

Physics is applied in engineering in various ways, such as in the design of structures and machines, the development of new materials, and the understanding and manipulation of energy. For example, engineers use principles of mechanics to design bridges and buildings, and principles of thermodynamics to design engines and power plants.

5. How can I improve my knowledge of physics for engineering?

To improve your knowledge of physics for engineering, you can take courses in physics and engineering fields, read books and articles on the subject, and participate in hands-on projects and experiments. It is also helpful to seek guidance from experienced engineers and actively engage in problem-solving activities.