1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From Software Development to Math/Science?

1. Nov 27, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am a Software Developer in a company. I work on cutting edge technologies in System Software and High Performance Computing. But, I'm also interested in Pure Math and also Physics. I get excited about Number Theory and I want that to be part of my career. What do I do?. Where do I start with?. I know this is weird because people go the other way!. I am planning for a PhD after two years or so. How do I go about choosing a topic for research related to the fields I like?.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2012 #2
    The only things I know of that involve number theory are professorial teaching positions. It is indeed a fascinating study, but job opportunities in this area are few. Consider that you may want to do something else that pays the bills, and pursue the number theory studies on your own.

4. Nov 27, 2012 #3
    Since you have a software background, maybe look into cryptography/security related positions? A lot of that's based on number theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook