Overcoming Frozen Pond Friction with a Thrown Textbook

In summary: ary thinker tries to overcome obstacle by throwing a heavy textbook at high speed-conservation of momentum dictates that the student will reach the south shore in 16 seconds
Vision5

Homework Statement

A 680 N student stands in the middle of a frozen pond having a radius of 6.0 m. He is unable to get to the other side because of a lack of friction between his shoes and the ice. To overcome this difficulty, he throws his 2.6 kg physics textbook horizontally toward the north shore at a speed of 10.0 m/s. How long does it take him to reach the south shore?

Homework Equations

p=m*v

F=p/t

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Physics news on Phys.org

Vision5 said:

Homework Statement

A 680 N student stands in the middle of a frozen pond having a radius of 6.0 m. He is unable to get to the other side because of a lack of friction between his shoes and the ice. To overcome this difficulty, he throws his 2.6 kg physics textbook horizontally toward the north shore at a speed of 10.0 m/s. How long does it take him to reach the south shore?

Homework Equations

p=m*v

F=p/t

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Please at least attempt a solution next time. I'll help you out anyway because I'm bored.

The basic strategy behind solving this problem centers on conservation of momentum. Before we get to that, however, we need to find out the mass of the student. We know the student's weight, W, and from that we can figure out the mass:

[tex] W = m_sg[/tex]

>> [tex]680 N = m_sg[/tex]

>> [tex]m_s = 69.4 kg[/tex]

With that out of the way, we can use conservation of momentum:

[tex] P_i = P_f[/tex]

>> [tex] m_bv_b + m_sv_s = m_bv_b + m_sv_s [/tex]

The left side of the equation is 0. There is no initial momentum. The book and the person are both at rest. This leaves us with the following equation:

[tex] 0 = m_bv_b + m_sv_s[/tex]

Plug everything in and solve for the velocity of the student:

[tex]v_s = -.37 m/s[/tex]

Now it's simple kinematics:

[tex] distance = velocity * time[/tex]

Solve for time:

[tex]t = 16 seconds[/tex]

I apologize I had attemped it myself i just didn't want to write something completely wrong on here i thought it would just complicate things. Will do next time though.

Thank you for the help I appreciate it. Very easy to follow.

-vision

1. What is the "frozen pond friction problem"?

The frozen pond friction problem refers to the phenomenon of increased friction when objects slide across a frozen surface, such as a frozen pond or lake. This is due to the irregularities in the ice surface creating more resistance compared to a smooth surface.

2. Why does friction increase on frozen surfaces?

Friction increases on frozen surfaces because the ice crystals create roughness on the surface, which causes objects to catch and create resistance when sliding across it. This is similar to the effect of sandpaper on a surface, as the roughness of the sandpaper increases friction.

3. Does the type of ice affect the friction?

Yes, the type of ice can affect the friction. For example, freshly frozen ice is smoother and may have less friction compared to older, rougher ice. The temperature also plays a role, as colder temperatures can make the ice harder and increase friction.

4. How does the weight of an object affect the friction on a frozen surface?

The weight of an object does not have a significant impact on friction on a frozen surface. However, heavier objects may exert more force on the ice, which can result in cracking or breaking if the ice is not thick enough.

5. Are there any ways to reduce friction on a frozen surface?

There are a few ways to reduce friction on a frozen surface. Using objects with smooth surfaces, such as ice skates, can minimize the friction. Adding a layer of water or a lubricant, such as oil or wax, can also reduce friction and make it easier to slide across the ice.