Can We Send Information FTL Through Entanglement?

In summary, while quantum teleportation can teleport a state from one spacetime region to another, it cannot transfer classical information faster than light due to the need for a transfer of classical information in the process.
the_pulp
I know its been asked a lot of times, but reading all those threads convinced me that through entanglement we can not send information faster than light (FTL). We can just correlate the result of random experiments.

Nevertheless, reading this articles (and a lot of other similar articles):
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/507531/first-teleportation-from-one-macroscopic-object-to-another/

I noticed that quantum - teleportation, which I think works through entanglement, can send information FTL (in fact, instantly).

So, can we send information instantly or not? And, if not, what is quantum teleportation?

Or, in other words, What did I misunderstand?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
the_pulp said:
I noticed that quantum - teleportation, which I think works through entanglement, can send information FTL (in fact, instantly).

So, can we send information instantly or not? And, if not, what is quantum teleportation?

What you are teleporting is a state. Generally, that state is undefined. So yes, you can teleport from one spacetime region to another outside the normal limits. But there is no classical information being transferred in this process. So no FTL signal.

DrChinese said:
What you are teleporting is a state. Generally, that state is undefined. So yes, you can teleport from one spacetime region to another outside the normal limits. But there is no classical information being transferred in this process. So no FTL signal.

Actually quantum teleportation does not work by entanglement alone, but also needs a transfer of classical information to be completed. So even quantum teleportation can not transfer states faster than light.

1. Can we really send information faster than the speed of light through entanglement?

While entanglement does allow for instantaneous communication between two particles, it cannot be used to transmit information faster than the speed of light. This is because the entangled particles themselves cannot be controlled or manipulated, so no information can be intentionally transmitted through them.

2. How does entanglement work in the first place?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two particles become intrinsically connected, so that any change in one particle will immediately affect the other, regardless of the distance between them. This connection is known as quantum entanglement and is a fundamental property of the quantum world.

3. Can we use entanglement to communicate faster than the speed of light in the future?

While the idea of using entanglement for faster-than-light communication has been explored, it is currently not possible with our current understanding of physics. The laws of relativity state that no information can travel faster than the speed of light, and entanglement does not violate this principle.

4. Are there any practical applications for entanglement in communication?

While entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication, it does have potential applications in secure communication. By using entangled particles, it is possible to create unbreakable encryption codes, as any attempt to intercept or measure the particles would destroy their entangled state and alter the message.

5. Is entanglement the only way to achieve faster-than-light communication?

Currently, there is no known way to achieve faster-than-light communication through any means. While entanglement may seem like a loophole, it still follows the laws of physics and cannot be used to transmit information faster than the speed of light. There may be other ways to achieve faster-than-light communication in the future, but they are still purely theoretical and have not been proven to be possible.