Full page figures with RevTex4?

• Thread starter quarky2001
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm writing up a document in the standard two-column mode, but there's a figure I want to insert that needs to occupy the full width of the page, although not the full height.

How could I do this? When I set the image width to be 2\columnwidth, it writes over the right side of the image with the rest of the document, not displacing it as I want it to.

Any ideas?

Answers and Replies

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
To force a whole page format, you can wrap the selected part in \begin{widetext} .. \end{widetext}. I've never tried this for a figure (only equations, which is it very useful for!), but it should work!

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Actually, scratch that (though it will still be useful to remember for equations, so I won't delete it), but apparently there exists a figure* environment for full width figures in revtex.

Actually, scratch that (though it will still be useful to remember for equations, so I won't delete it), but apparently there exists a figure* environment for full width figures in revtex.
widetext and figure* worked like a charm. Thanks.

Any chance if you could tell me why LaTeX is inserting these two lines at the bottom of the page now? *see attachment

Attachments

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
widetext and figure* worked like a charm. Thanks.

Any chance if you could tell me why LaTeX is inserting these two lines at the bottom of the page now? *see attachment
That's the widetext doing that. I think you should be able to remove it and just use the figure*.

The lines are put in place for when a long equation is inserted using widetext. It tells the reader how to read around the equation.