Fun with counting and modular arithmetic

In summary, the conversation revolved around the problem of showing that among any group of five nonconsecutive integers, there are two or more with the same remainder when divided by 4. The solution involves using the pigeonhole principle and the division algorithm to determine the holes and pigeons in the problem.
Chromium
So today I was doing a problem out of my book for practice, and I came across some interesting results.

Show that among any group of five (not necessarily consecutive) integers, there are two with the same remainder when divided by 4.

a set of consecutive integers

1 mod 4 = 1
2 mod 4 = 2
3 mod 4 = 3
4 mod 4 = 0
5 mod 4 = 1

a set of nonconsecutive integers

6 mod 4 = 2
14 mod 4 = 2
3 mod 4 = 3
71 mod 4 = 3
35 mod 4 = 3

should the question be rephrased like this?
Show that among any group of five (not necessarily consecutive) integers, there are two or more with the same remainder when divided by 4.

Physics news on Phys.org
"There are two" is an informal (if inexact) way of expressing "there are two or more". I.e. if there are two or more, then there ARE certainly two that are equal. Shouldn't you be solving the problem, not doing linguistic hair splitting? Or is this a linguistics class? :)

Last edited:
This is a simple pigeonhole problem. What are the pigeons and what are the holes? I assume you are familiar with the pigeonhole theorem.

In determining the holes, you'll want to consider the division algorithm.

1. What is counting and modular arithmetic?

Counting is the process of determining the number of objects in a set or group. Modular arithmetic is a mathematical system that deals with integers and their remainders when divided by a fixed number.

2. How is modular arithmetic used in everyday life?

Modular arithmetic is used in everyday life for various applications such as telling time on a clock, calculating the day of the week, and encrypting data in computer science.

3. What are the benefits of learning about counting and modular arithmetic?

Learning about counting and modular arithmetic can improve problem-solving skills, enhance logical thinking, and provide a better understanding of various mathematical concepts.

4. Can you give an example of how to solve a problem using modular arithmetic?

Sure, let's say we want to find the remainder when 27 is divided by 5. We can use modular arithmetic by dividing 27 by 5, which gives us a quotient of 5 and a remainder of 2. Therefore, the remainder is 2 when 27 is divided by 5.

5. Is counting and modular arithmetic only used in mathematics?

No, counting and modular arithmetic are also used in other fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics to solve complex problems and make calculations more efficient.