Function describing a traveling wavefield

• I
  • Thread starter fog37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses traveling waves and standing waves, and the mathematical function that describes them. It is generally true that for one-dimensional traveling waves, the function must have an argument of (x-vt), where x and t are combined. Separable functions, f(x,t) = g(x)*p(t), cannot represent traveling waves. However, some functions, like e^(i(x-wt)), can be both traveling waves and separable. The conversation also touches on the relationship between x and t in a traveling wave and provides examples of sine and plane wave solutions.
fog37
Hello Forum,

A traveling wave is something that travels and transfers energy from one location to another. There are many waves and many wave equations. There are also standing wave that are waves trapped within some cavity of boundaries (also called standing waves). A standing wave can be made by superposing two traveling waves moving in opposite directions. Two standing waves can form a traveling wave, etc.

That said, for one-dimensional traveling waves, introductory books show that the mathematical function describing a traveling wave must have an argument like ##(x-vt)## where the spatial and the time variables are combined into one argument. For example, ##sin(x- \omega t)## is a plane wave traveling along the x-direction. If the two variables , spatial ##x## and time ##t##, are separated, the wave is not traveling. Is that generally true?
For example, a function ##f(x,t)## that is separable,i.e. ##f(x,t) = g(x)*p(t)## cannot be a traveling wave but can be a standing wave. However, I then think of something like ##e^{i(x-\omega t)}= e^{ix}e^{-i\omega t}##, which also a traveling wave and is also separable...

What general observations can we make about the function that is supposed to represent a traveling wave? What about the spatial and time variables x and t?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have some function in space ##y=f(x)## and you want that relationship to travel through space with speed ##v## (in the +x direction) then the position of each bit of ##f(x)## gets updated as time goes by. For instance, if ##f(x)## has a peak at ##x_0## when ##t=0##, then then at time ##t>0##, that peak will have moved to ##x_0-vt##. The height of the peak is the same as it was at t=0, it is just in a different place. (Here I am considering that the shape of the function does not change in time, only it's position).

It follows that the overall time dependence is given by replacing x in the original expression by x-vt ... so ##y=f(x-vt)##.

If f(x) is a sine wave, then ##f(x)=A\sin kx## ... the A is needed to make the amplitude something other than 1, and the k is needed to convert units of x into radians.
Following above, a traveling sine wave would be ##y(x,t)=f(x-vt) = A\sin k(x-vt) = A\sin(kx-kvt) = A\sin(kx-\omega t)##
... that last step is the definition of ##\omega##.

If you have ##f(x)=Ae^{ikx}## then ##y(x,t)=Ae^{ik(x-vt)} = Ae^{ikx}e^{-i\omega t}= \psi(x)\chi(t)## following the reasoning above.
... this is a plane-wave solution to the Schrodinger equation and is used a lot in quantum mechanics.

Notice that ##e^{ikx} = \cos kx + i\sin kx## ... this describes a phasor whose rotation angle depends on it's position in space.

This help?

Hi Simon Bridge,

Thank you for your helpful comments. I agree with you. What I am not sure about is a traveling wave described by a mathematical expression where the space variable x and the time variable t are not combined in the argument (x-vt). As you mentioned, as the variable t grows, the x variable has to grow to to maintain the argument (x-vt) constant. That implies that the wavefield is moving.

I would tend to judge any function that is separable, f(x,t) =g (t)*p(x) as not describing a traveling wavefield if we cannot recast the variables x and t together in the argument (x-vt). Is that incorrect?

1. What is a traveling wavefield?

A traveling wavefield is a type of wave that moves through a medium, carrying energy from one location to another. It is characterized by a repeating pattern of oscillations that propagate outward from a source.

2. How is a traveling wavefield described?

A traveling wavefield is typically described using a mathematical function, such as a sine or cosine function, that represents the amplitude and frequency of the wave as it travels through space.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a traveling wavefield?

The behavior of a traveling wavefield can be affected by several factors, including the properties of the medium it is traveling through, the amplitude and frequency of the wave, and the presence of any obstacles or boundaries in its path.

4. What is the difference between a transverse and longitudinal traveling wavefield?

A transverse traveling wavefield is one in which the particles of the medium move perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation, while a longitudinal traveling wavefield is one in which the particles move parallel to the direction of propagation.

5. How is a traveling wavefield used in real-world applications?

Traveling wavefields have a variety of uses in science and technology. They are commonly used in fields such as acoustics, seismology, and optics to study and measure waves in various mediums. They are also used in communication technologies, such as radio and cell phone signals, to transmit information over long distances.