1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function in 3 variables, determinant of the Hessian=0

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the minima and maxima of the following function:
    ##f:\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R} : f(x,y,z)=x(z^2+y^2)-yx##

3. The attempt at a solution

after computing the partials, i see ∇f=0 for every point in the x-axis: (a, 0, 0)
    The Hessian is:
    ( 0 0 0 )
    ( 0 2a -1 )
    ( 0 -1 2a )
    for every value of a, the determinant is 0.
    the eigenvalues are: ##\lambda_1=0##
    ##\lambda_{2,3}= 2a±\sqrt{1}##=##2a\pm1 ##
    ##\lambda_{2,3}## are both positive if a>1/2 and both negative if a<-1/2.
    Thus, for -1/2<a<1/2 i can say the points are inflection points, because the eigenvalues have oppisite sign.
    But how about ##a \geq 1/2## and ## a \leq -1/2##? i get two positive/negative eigenvalues, but the first one is always zero, so i can't really say that they are maxima/minima, right? what's the method to determine if they are max/min? thank you very much

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2
    Is it correct to say that, being semidefinite positive for ##x \geq1/2## the function is convex and has therefore infinite minima and being semidefinite negative for ##x \leq -1/2## it is concave and so all the points to the left of (-1/2, 0, 0) are maxima?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted