Functional analysis, and Quantum Mechanics

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi!

I was thinking about taking an introductory course in Functional analysis the commming spring, and was wondering if you more experienced guys can tell me if this is a good complement to understand theoretical quantum physics better?

Cheers

Answers and Replies

I think so, but I'm going off reading QED plus a very brief introduction to calculus of variations.

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
They are not offering Calculus of variations anymore at my University =(

what math courses have you taken already?

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
is this course mathematically rigorous?
i.e given by mathematicians for mathmematicians (and those who inclined to rigorous maths).
cause as i know it in QM courses and physics in general you already given the maths needed (with shaken mathematical foundations), because i myself as a maths/physics student as any maths/physics student knows we first learn the maths in the physics courses which are needed and after some semesters or a few weeks we learn it in the specific maths course.
so i guess i myself first will learn QM and the maths used there in a physics course and afterwards i will learn the maths needed rigorously.
if you are a maths/physics major you'll know what im talking about.

I took a course on functional analysis last spring, and it nearly didn't have anything to do with the QM. It dealt with completely different kind of things, or at least I cannot see the connection yet.

Maths and physics are like different cultures. Stick to the boundary of the two and the connections will be more apparent unlike you are a genuis.