1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional analysis, and Quantum Mechanics

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi!

I was thinking about taking an introductory course in Functional analysis the commming spring, and was wondering if you more experienced guys can tell me if this is a good complement to understand theoretical quantum physics better?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2
    I think so, but I'm going off reading QED plus a very brief introduction to calculus of variations.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are not offering Calculus of variations anymore at my University =(

5. Oct 8, 2007 #4
    what math courses have you taken already?

6. Oct 9, 2007 #5
    is this course mathematically rigorous?
    i.e given by mathematicians for mathmematicians (and those who inclined to rigorous maths).
    cause as i know it in QM courses and physics in general you already given the maths needed (with shaken mathematical foundations), because i myself as a maths/physics student as any maths/physics student knows we first learn the maths in the physics courses which are needed and after some semesters or a few weeks we learn it in the specific maths course.
    so i guess i myself first will learn QM and the maths used there in a physics course and afterwards i will learn the maths needed rigorously.
    if you are a maths/physics major you'll know what im talking about.

7. Oct 9, 2007 #6
    I took a course on functional analysis last spring, and it nearly didn't have anything to do with the QM. It dealt with completely different kind of things, or at least I cannot see the connection yet.

8. Oct 10, 2007 #7
    Maths and physics are like different cultures. Stick to the boundary of the two and the connections will be more apparent unlike you are a genuis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?