1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional analysis with worked examples

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    Folks

Are there any introductory functional analysis books which show calculus examples to illustrate the different axioms?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2
    I always though Kreyszig's book was outstanding.

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
    Yes, I have that. Its still a bit abstract...:-)

5. Dec 25, 2011 #4
    Functional analysis itself is abstract; being abstract is its entire purpose (it generalizes many of the objects studied in linear algebra and analysis). Really, Kreyszig is one of the friendliest introductions you're going to find. You really shouldn't be studying it without a background in linear algebra anyway.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  6. Dec 31, 2011 #5
    ok,

Thanks

7. Jan 2, 2012 #6
    Robert Geroch, Mathematical Physics. Last 2 chapters. Best intro to functional I have seen. I don't know about worked examples. There are some very good examples, but also very nice proofs.

The point of functional might be to be abstract, but the word abstract is a verb. Things should be abstracted FROM something. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any functional analysis book that keeps that in mind quite as much as they ought to, except maybe Dieudonne's History of Functional Analysis, but it is not very complete or readable.

8. Jan 3, 2012 #7
    Ok cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook