Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions with operator valued arguments acting on eigenstates

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    This question concerns the outcome when operator valued functions act on an energy eigenstate. Given an eigenstate at t =0, say |Ej > , I have seen or inferred in some of the literature that the following applies :

exp(-iHt/h) |Ej > = exp(- iEj t/h) |Ej >

Where h = h-bar
    Ej is energy eigenstate j
    H is the Hamiltonian

I am unclear in particular why we can say that if we apply a function with an operator as the argument to this energy eigenstate, it will return the function with the eigenvalue as the argument times the energy eigenstate. (assuming I have inferred what is in the notes correctly)

Would this then be a general result for all functions or do only certain functions satisfy this relationship. (So for example would it be true for sin(H) instead of exp(-iHt/h) )?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Functions of operators are defined from the power series for those functions. So, because H|E>=E|E>, and H^2|E>=H(E|E>)=E(H|E>)=E^2|E>, etc., as long as these power series converge, then you will have f(H)|E>=f(E)|E>.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    Thank you matterwave for the clear explanation

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4
    Thus, if the operator has eigenvalues that exceed the convergence radius of the expansion, problems will arise.

6. Jan 28, 2012 #5
    Yes, makes sense, thanks for pointing it out torquil.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook