[Funny Math Art] Guess what's inside?

• Thread starter benice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art
In summary, the conversation discusses a surface that is a portion of a mathematical equation graph. The participants brainstorm about what could be inside the surface and suggest various interpretations such as funny curves, a 3D image, faces, turtles, and Mayan art. The surface is described as resembling the Rorshach-test, with each person's interpretation saying something about their personality. The conversation ends with someone suggesting that the surface could be two boxers or weightlifters with large hands.
benice
guess.png

The surface in above image is a portion of the graph of
some mathematical equation.

Let's do some brainstorming:
Can you guess what's inside the surface?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint

Consider the intersection of a horizontal plane with the surface.

The intersection consists of a family of funny curves.
(An example curve is shown below. It has nothing to do with the answer.)

Cut off the upper surface above the horizontal plane to get a funny 3D image.

bad_bunny_400x400.png

(This curve is obtained from another surface.)

benice said:
guess.png

The surface in above image is a portion of the graph of
some mathematical equation.

Let's do some brainstorming:
Can you guess what's inside the surface?

sorry looks like rollerskates

Answers

Answers:

A funny 3D image:
benice_funny_surface.png

A funny curve:
benice_funny_curve.png

The above graphics were created completely using math formulas and math softwares.

benice said:
A funny curve:
benice_funny_curve.png

The above graphics were created completely using math formulas and math softwares.

so what does it look like ?

limitkiller said:
so what does it look like ?

It's like the Rorshach-test. What it looks like to you, says something about how neurotic you are :biggrin:

To me, it looks like two faces: 1 happy and 1 unhappy. Don't know what that says about me...

i can see 2 turtles and a handful of meaningless curves
or maybe its just nothing...

One happily surprised face, one disgusted, and one evil.

Its two owls and the one on the left is wearing a pirate hat.

Reminds me of Mayan art: http://www.clipartlab.com/clipart_preview/anicent-mayan-art-1.php [Broken]
http://www.clipartlab.com/clipart_preview/anicent-mayan-art-2.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at it upside down, I was thinking that it was two boxers or weightlifters or people with huge ball shaped hands.

Those animations are pretty cool. One type of facial expression evolving into another (or two others).

Thanks benice!

1. What is "Funny Math Art"?

"Funny Math Art" is a type of art that combines elements of mathematics and humor. It often includes math equations, formulas, and symbols in a creative and amusing way.

2. What is the concept behind "Guess what's inside?"

The concept behind "Guess what's inside?" is to use math equations and symbols to create images that appear to have something hidden inside. Viewers are encouraged to use their math skills to solve the equations and discover what is hidden.

3. How do you come up with the ideas for these images?

I am constantly thinking about ways to combine math and humor in a creative way. Sometimes the images are based on a specific math concept or formula, while other times they are just meant to be silly and entertaining.

4. Are these images meant to be educational or just for fun?

Both! While the main purpose is to entertain and make people laugh, these images also serve as a fun way to engage with math concepts and improve math skills.

5. Can anyone solve the equations and figure out what's inside?

Yes, anyone with basic math knowledge can solve the equations and figure out what's inside. However, some images may require more advanced math skills, so it may be more challenging for some viewers.