Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: G-force question. amusment park physics

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    hey, i am a year 11 student trying to complete an assignmnt based on the physics in the amusment park 'dreamworld'

i have been ask to change something about a ride and write about safety and thrill factor this would affect, a chose the giant drop ( a free fall ride )

i am planning to change the height of the ride from 120m to 200m , and now trying to calculate g force

so far:

s = -200m
    u = 0
    v = ?
    t = ?
    a = -9.8 m/s

on the internet i found an equation for g force:

a / g = g force

a = change in velocity / change in time
    g = -9.8

i calculated velocity first

v2 = u2 + 2as
    v2 = (0)2 + (2 x -9.8 x - 200)
    v2 = 3920
    v = 62.1

now i have velocity i tried to work out time

v = u +at
    62.61 = o + (-9.8 x t)
    62.61 = -9.8 x t
    62.61 / -9.8 = t
    - 6.39 = t

and thats it i cannot find a way and i am very confused please help i am still learning :(

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2
    :( help?

4. Jul 14, 2010 #3
    Let's say you're in a cart moving at some velocity, v, let's ignore gravity for now.
    This cart sits on a rail, at some point along the track, the rail bends into the shape of a circle of radius R (Its radius of curvature is R).

From the accelerated reference frame of the cart, what force would you feel? (Hint: It would be the centrifugal force)

Once you've answered that question, you can generalize to any curve with a given radius of curvature, and thus find the acceleration the passengers would feel moving at any point along that curve, provided you know their velocity.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook