Force at the Bottom of a Circular Amusement Park Ride

You'll see that you get a different result.In summary, The Roundup ride at an amusement park has a rotating ring with a diameter of 17.0 m. The ring tilts into a vertical plane once it acquires sufficient speed. In order to calculate the force the ring pushes on a rider at the top and bottom of the ride, the rider's mass of 59.0 kg and the rotation period of 4.50 s must be known. The longest rotation period of the wheel that will prevent riders from falling off at the top can also be calculated.
artireiter

Homework Statement

In an amusement park ride called The Roundup, passengers stand inside a 17.0 m -diameter rotating ring. After the ring has acquired sufficient speed, it tilts into a vertical plane.

a. Suppose the ring rotates once every 4.50 s . If a rider's mass is 59.0 kg , with how much force does the ring push on her at the top of the ride?

b. Suppose the ring rotates once every 4.50 s . If a rider's mass is 59.0 kg , with how much force does the ring push on her at the bottom of the ride?

c. What is the longest rotation period of the wheel that will prevent the riders from falling off at the top?

Homework Equations

Ttop = (m/r)* v^2top - mg

Tbot = (m/r)* v^2bottom+mg

The Attempt at a Solution

a. 400N
I finished this one and know the answer is correct.

b.
(1/2)mvtop2+mg2r= (1/2)mvbottom2
Tbottom=((mvbottom2)/r)+mg
Tbottom=((mvtop2)/r)+(4mgr/r)+mg
vtop=11.87
Tbottom=(50*(11.872)/8.5)+(4*59*9.8*8.5/8.5)+(59*9.8)= 3868.7
So I am stuck on part B, thought I did it right but I was told it's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy conservation is not an issue here, so your approach to (b) in inappropriate. The speed remains constant so you are not trading potential energy for kinetic energy. Why did you not use your relevant equation for Tbot?

kuruman said:
Energy conservation is not an issue here, so your approach to (b) in inappropriate. The speed remains constant so you are not trading potential energy for kinetic energy. Why did you not use your relevant equation for Tbot?

Do you mean why I didn't use Tbottom=((mvbottom2)/r)+mg ? I did at first and found the same thing I got using the other equation, sorry just didn't see the need to include both. Not sure what I'm doing wrong since I'm getting the same thing.

You can't possibly get the same answer either way. The ring rotates once every 4.50 s. Its speed is constant and equal to 11.87 m/s as you found out. Just substitute in the equation you provided Tbottom=((mvbottom2)/r)+mg where vbottom=11.87 m/s.

1. What is the force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride?

The force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride is known as centripetal force. It is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path.

2. How is the force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride calculated?

The force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. Is the force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride constant?

Yes, the force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride is constant. This means that the magnitude and direction of the force remains the same throughout the ride, as long as the speed and radius of the ride do not change.

4. How does the force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride affect riders?

The force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride can cause a sensation of weightlessness or "g-forces" for riders. This is because the force is constantly changing the direction of their motion, making them feel as if they are being pulled in different directions.

5. Can the force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride be dangerous?

While the force at the bottom of a circular amusement park ride may feel intense, it is not inherently dangerous as long as the ride is designed and maintained properly. However, individuals with certain health conditions may be advised to avoid rides with high levels of centripetal force.