Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Gabrielle Gifford's first interview.

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I gather most Americans have noted the extreme degree of recovery Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords has managed by her own fighting spirit and the persistent help from her devoted husband. Now, she has given her first interview with ABC news, is ready with a new book.
    Truly, this tale of remarkable recovery is also, I think, a very touching example of "The American Dream", a dream one must not give up, even in the most horrifying, unjust situations one can experience. She is my favorite American today! :approve:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/gabby_giff...fords-recovery/story?id=14944407#.TsGsZ_I2dnA

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2
    I would tend to credit modern medical science, and the doctors and surgeons who worked on her, but that's just me.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    I'm happy for her and her family that she's made so much progress. All things considered, she seems to have been very lucky.

It's stories like this that really make me wonder what life is all about.

5. Nov 15, 2011 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Where did I said that her recovery "solely" by her own and her husband's efforts??
    Furthermore, all research underlines the critical importance of the victim's own willingness to improve when it comes to rehabilitation.
    For example, unless patients with aphasia (as Giffords) actively and spontaneously speak and fails, speaks and fails ad nauseam then she simply won't get to the point speak&succeed.
    No doctor, and certainly no surgeon can step into her place to refamiliarize herself as a speaker.

6. Nov 27, 2011 #5

mheslep

Gold Member

Thanks for this thread arildno. I agree with you sentiments on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook