Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, 6 YTBN Shot, Killed In Tuscon AZ

1. http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/08/arizona.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Wow. It's confirmed that Ms. Giffords has died. [STRIKE]Was this aimed at her (if anyone knows yet), or was she in the wrong place at the wrong time?[/STRIKE]

This was apparently a constituent meeting, and it sounds as though someone just opened fire, and not without some aim. I hope, as terrible as it sounds, that this was a personal motivation, and not what amounts to an assassination.

2. jcsd
  3. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The hospital [CNN] is reporting that Giffords is still alive and in surgery. People on the scene report that she was shot in the head at point blank.

4. The hospital spokeswoman has confirmed that Giffords is in surgery with a head wound, which explains the conflict. Obviously the prognosis for a bullet wound to the head, delivered by someone who is confirmed to have rapidly shot and killed at least 5 others, will be quite poor. It seems the shooter(s?) put a further 9+ (12 it seems) into, "Serious or Critical condition," including at least one child.

There are reports of a 21 year old male in custody, but no further details.

Personally, I find it unlikely that someone who was shot at point blank range in the head is likely to survive unless the gun was a low caliber, and she was lucky.

5. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It appears that a Federal Judge was shot as well [along with one child].

6. I normally don't post anything political or personal on PF using it only for homework type stuff however I need to share this.

I was in the store when the shooting happened. I had walked past the congresswoman and thought for a second that it would be fun to meet her, but the line was too long. I then went in the front door and around customer service to the copy machine. I was in the middle of copying when I heard a series of loud pops. I thought to myself: Why are people setting off firecrackers, don't they know that they could get in trouble with a member of congress so near? Then a couple came in covered with blood and other people rushed by to help.

I continued to copy until I thought that this is stupid, I should either help or get out of the way. I walked over to where the shooting took place. There were people lying around I assume dead and injured. It was just like a scene from the movies. Blood everywhere. There were a lot of people helping and I am not trained medically so I turned around and went out the other door of the store. At this time the first policeman arrived. I told him there had been a shooting and I had not seen anything. He told me to leave so I did and drove home.

7. LeonhardEuler

LeonhardEuler 864
    Gold Member

She's been pronounced dead. Also, some details:
    http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2011/01/murder-in-arizona-live-blogging.html

8. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! What a terrible thing to see.

How are you doing?

9. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Every news channel says she has been shot, but have said that earlier reports of her dying were inaccurate or that they may have been able to bring her back to life. Let's hope everyone who can make it will make it.

EDIT: An Arizona state senator being interviewed says that she is responsive at the hospital.

10. LeonhardEuler

LeonhardEuler 864
    Gold Member

That's horrendous. There was nothing else you could have done, though. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling now.

11. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

CNN now reports that 18 people were shot.

12. Damn... I'm sorry that you were there... take care of yourself. You never know when the reality of the situation will hit, or if it already has.

Ivan: Wow, this guy either sprayed the crowd or was an exceptional marksman. I hope he appreciates the irony when he's put against a wall and shot in the heart.

13. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

The Federal Judge, John Roll, was killed it appears according to the latest reports.

They have a suspect in custody as well.

14. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Given that MathAmateur reported the sound of firecrackers, it was probably a small-caliber pistol. While is isn't likely to survive a head shot at point blank, the small caliber may give Rep Giffords a fighting chance.

15. Oh man, the FBI is going to be absolutely foaming at the mouth, and I don't blame them. I'm not going to speculate, because it could be a stalker or virtually anything, but I WANT to know what motivated someone to do this, or at least how they justify it.

I will note, Fox News is resorting that the shooter is an Afghan War veteran, 22 yr old white male.

Pengwuino: Someone who essentially dead can appear "responsive" due to brain stem response. A point blank shot to the head, which is being reported, with a gun that killed and wounded so many others seems unlikely to be low caliber/low speed.

16. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you ever heard a large-caliber gun fired indoors? There is no mistaking the difference between something like a .44, and a .22. A .44 doesn't sound like a firecracker. I would expect it to be either a .22 or a .380. Also, if it had been something like a .44, esp at point blank. it is highly unlikely she would be in surgery.

17. I wish I cold agree...

First, wounding that many people critically is unlikely to be achieved with a small caliber pistol, unless he used and discarded that. That seems unlikely in my view. I'd also point out that you do NOT want to be shot in the head with a .22; you get penetration of the skull (unless the shooter strikes the sagittal crest, then you have a chance), but not an exit. The result is predictable, and horrific.

Jared Lauder is the name of the shooter apparently, according to Fox News.

18. I have, but I suspect that this person used an assault rifle or submachine gun. In that case I would expect small caliber/high speed; NATO standard. Knowing AZ, it was probably a modified AR-15, but who knows.

Anyway, I've heard gunfire, indoors, outdoors, and in every caliber described. The sound of a .22 is slight, a .380 by contrast is monstrous btw... totally different.

19. Confirmed as of now, by the hospital: the child died.

edit: Also confirmed: Giffords shot through and through the brain. Forget .22's

20. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An official news conference with the hospital: Giffords is alive and he believes she has a good chance of recovery.

The child is dead.

21. Don't want to attack your story, but there's a shooting and they tell a potential witness to go home - regardless of you saying what you had / had not seen?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?