Gas Chromatography: Varian CP 3800 GC

In summary, this machine is a chromatography workstation that is used by mechanical engineering students to analyze drugs.
Saladsamurai
Hello people! I am wondering if anyone uses this machine? I am a mechanical engineering student and I have one in my laboratory. I have quite a bit of documentation on the machine, however, a lot of it is like a foreign language to me.

Before I start asking any questions, I wanted to know if anyone uses or has used this machine with the Star Chromatography Workstation?

Thank you :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
litup said:
I worked for Varian for almost 20 years as a field service engineer but on ion implanters. I ran into the 3800 a few times in cleanrooms around the world. Here is a Varian clip on the beast:

http://www.varianinc.com/image/vimage/docs/products/chrom/gc/shared/gc3800bro_r1.pdf

Hi litup :smile: Thanks for the clip. The more the better. I am looking for some "tutorial" type stuff. I was hoping to find something at a university website somewhere, but no such luck yet. If anyone knows of something like this, feel free to point me in that direction.

Saladsamurai said:
Hi litup :smile: Thanks for the clip. The more the better. I am looking for some "tutorial" type stuff. I was hoping to find something at a university website somewhere, but no such luck yet. If anyone knows of something like this, feel free to point me in that direction.
That is one cadillac machine! Here is a "getting started" manual for the model. I don't know if you have a paper version of this manual, but it's pretty darned big for "getting started".
http://www.scribd.com/doc/25762337/CP-3800-GC-Getting-Started-Manual

We use the CP-3800 coupled with a mass spec to "scan" for drugs extracted from urine or blood. It's OK, but sometimes the drugs are hard to find. Our supervisor loaded a library of ions to "teach" the computer some of the common drugs we are looking for; but it can be hard to pry them out from the junk if your extraction is bad.

Does that help?

1. What is gas chromatography and how does it work?

Gas chromatography is a separation technique used to analyze and identify the components of a mixture. It works by passing a gaseous sample through a stationary phase, which separates the different components based on their physical and chemical properties. The separated components then pass through a detector, which records their presence and quantity.

2. What is the Varian CP 3800 GC?

The Varian CP 3800 GC is a gas chromatograph manufactured by Varian, Inc. It is a powerful and versatile instrument that is commonly used in laboratories for a variety of applications, including environmental analysis, forensic analysis, and drug testing.

3. What are the main components of the Varian CP 3800 GC?

The main components of the Varian CP 3800 GC include an injection port, a gas chromatography column, a detector, and a data system. The injection port is used to introduce the sample into the instrument, while the column separates the components of the sample. The detector then records the separated components, and the data system collects and analyzes the data.

4. What are the advantages of using the Varian CP 3800 GC?

The Varian CP 3800 GC offers several advantages, including high sensitivity, fast analysis times, and the ability to analyze a wide range of samples. It also has a user-friendly interface, making it easy to operate and maintain. Additionally, the instrument has a modular design, allowing for easy upgrades and customization.

5. How do I interpret the results from the Varian CP 3800 GC?

The results from the Varian CP 3800 GC are typically presented in the form of a chromatogram, which is a graph that shows the separation of components in the sample. Each peak on the chromatogram represents a different component, and the height of the peak indicates the quantity of that component in the sample. The data system also provides software tools for identifying and quantifying the components in the sample.