Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaseous water- no need to drink.

1. Aug 16, 2006 #1
    I noticed that whenever I am in water, I never feel thirsty, and ofcourse, it makes sense, well I was wondering that if we live in a house where it is filled water vapors, sort of like how humidifier does, then I would need to drink at all, what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

When you are in water, you may not feel like you are thirsty, but you can still dehydrate. You do not absorb water from a pool except into your skin itself.

Water will not evaporate from your skin if you are in a room with 100% humidity, but you'll still exhale it and and it'll still emanate from your pores and you will still need to drink.

4. Aug 16, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to me. Can you explain the reasoning?

5. Aug 16, 2006 #4
    I guess It reduced my thirstness like when I am in cold, what probably happens is b/c I am in their for 2 hours, I don't feel thirsty for that much time. Which brings another question I had in mind. When I feel thirsty and I drink hot water, I can drink alot of it, if I drink cool water, I only drink a bit of it. What diff. does it make to my body? What temperature should I drink?

6. Aug 16, 2006 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In any case, if water is to have its biological effect, it'll have to be through its liquid form.

7. Aug 16, 2006 #6
    so you are saying that if I eat cubes, that won't be the same as drinking water?

8. Aug 16, 2006 #7
    The cubes will melt in your body and be absorbed

9. Aug 16, 2006 #8

russ_watters

...and your body will not absorb (and therefore liquify) water in its gaseous form, unless it is extremly hot, in which case the act of condensing it would cook your lungs.

10. Aug 16, 2006 #9
    why would it not absorb cold gaseous water.

11. Aug 16, 2006 #10

russ_watters

Because the only way to have cold gaseous water is to have it at very low concentration (ie, just humid air). But the air coming out of your lungs is at 98 degrees and 100% humidity. Simply put - your lungs are already wet and too warm for condensation unless the air coming in is much hotter.

Condensation requires a surface's temperature to be below the dew point of the air touching it.

12. Aug 17, 2006 #11
    aah... btw, When I feel thirsty and I drink hot water, I can drink alot of it, if I drink cool water, I only drink a bit of it. What diff. does it make to my body? What temperature should I drink?

13. Aug 30, 2006 #12
    I don't think it makes any difference. It's merely the temperature that gives the resulting feeling. Hot water goes down easier because it doesn't cause your blood vessels to dilate (brain freeze). You're probably feeling more full when you drink hot water because you can down more of it in a small amount of time.

It doesn't matter what temperature the water is when it goes down, it will become your body's temperature when it passes through. Though cold water may be more satisfying, hot water or water at room temperature can fill you up fast and give you a bloated feeling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?