Gauge pressure at different depths in a 56 m reservoir behind a dam

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
DrMcDreamy
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



This is a two part problem:

a) A reservoir behind a dam is 56 m deep. What is the gauge pressure at the base of the dam? The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s 2 and atmospheric pressure is 10100 Pa . Answer in units of kPa.

b) What is the gauge pressure 19 m from the top of the dam? Answer in units of kPa.

Homework Equations



I don't know what formula I am suppose to use. I know it has to do with gauge pressure, so a guess:

P2=P1 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh

OR

P1+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh1+[tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\frac{v1^2}{2}[/tex]=P2+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh2+[tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\frac{v2^2}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



But I don't know the exact pressure, I just know since its minimal, the top and bottom velocity (I believe) gets cancelled.

So are either of those right? If not, what do I use? TIA
 
Physics news on Phys.org
^Are you assuming the reservoir is filled with water, so [tex]\rho[/tex] would be 1000 kg/m3?
 
So would it be:

a) P2=P1+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

P2-P1=[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

P2-P1=(1000 kg/m3)(9.80 kg m /s2)(56 m)

P2-P1=548,800 Pa

which would equal 548.8 kPa

b) P2=P1+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

P2-P1=[tex]\rho[/tex]g

P2-P1=(1000 kg/m3)(9.80 kg m /s2)(37 m)

P2-P1= 362,600 Pa

which would equal 362.6 kPa

So is the work and answers right? If not, what did I do wrong? TIA
 
Thank you tiny-tim! :smile:

It seems the second part was wrong, because I figured it had wanted me to 56-19=37, so it would've been from the bottoms up, but it was supposed to be 19 so:

b) P2=P1+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

P2-P1=[tex]\rho[/tex]g

P2-P1=(1000 kg/m3)(9.80 kg m /s2)(19 m)

P2-P1= 186,200 Pa

which would equal 186.2 kPa which is the correct answer to the 2nd part!