1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge Theory - Having Trouble with V' = 0

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that it is always possible to pick a gauge so V' = 0.

2. Relevant equations
    We weren't given any, but I've been working with:
    (a)[tex]\vec{E} + \frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial{t}} = -\nabla{V}[/tex]
    (b)[tex]\vec{A'} = \vec{A} + \nabla{\psi}[/tex] (where [tex]\psi[/tex] is a scalar function)
    (c)[tex]V' = V - \frac{\partial{\psi}}{\partial{t}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The way I've attempted it is not to choose the Lorentz or Coulomb gauge, but to make
    [tex]\nabla\cdot{\vec{A}} + \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{t}} = x[/tex] (where [tex]x[/tex] is a scalar function)
    Furthermore, from Griffths solutions I found:
    [tex]\nabla\cdot{\vec{A'}} = - \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V'}}{\partial{t}}[/tex]
    In our case, the above equals 0 as V' = 0.

I took the divergence of (b):
    [tex]\nabla\cdot\{vec{A'}} = \nabla\cdot\{\vec{A}} + \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
    [tex]0 = \nabla\cdot\{\vec{A}} + \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
    [tex]- \nabla\cdot\{\vec{A}} = \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
    [tex]- (x - \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{t}}) = \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
    [tex]-x + \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{t}} = \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
    [tex]\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{t}} = \nabla^{2}{\psi} + x[/tex]
    [tex]\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial^{2}{\psi}}{\partial{t^{2}}} = \nabla^{2}{\psi} + x[/tex]
    ... which gives me an inequality (i.e. an extra x, and also an extra factor of mu_0 and epsilon_0).

I've also been trying to use the solution to Griffths problem 10.7 as reference but I am really stuck on the steps to take.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The easiest way to prove this would be to take your equations for a gauge transformation (b and c), set V' to zero, and show that given any A and V, there exists some psi which effects the desired gauge transformation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook