Gauge Theory - Having Trouble with V' = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of picking a gauge where V' = 0 and provides equations to support this claim. The individual has attempted to solve this by using the divergence of equations (b) and (c), as well as referring to a solution in Griffths problem 10.7.
Michael King

Homework Statement

Show that it is always possible to pick a gauge so V' = 0.

Homework Equations

We weren't given any, but I've been working with:
(a)[tex]\vec{E} + \frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial{t}} = -\nabla{V}[/tex]
(b)[tex]\vec{A'} = \vec{A} + \nabla{\psi}[/tex] (where [tex]\psi[/tex] is a scalar function)
(c)[tex]V' = V - \frac{\partial{\psi}}{\partial{t}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I've attempted it is not to choose the Lorentz or Coulomb gauge, but to make
[tex]\nabla\cdot{\vec{A}} + \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{t}} = x[/tex] (where [tex]x[/tex] is a scalar function)
Furthermore, from Griffths solutions I found:
[tex]\nabla\cdot{\vec{A'}} = - \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V'}}{\partial{t}}[/tex]
In our case, the above equals 0 as V' = 0.

I took the divergence of (b):
[tex]\nabla\cdot\{vec{A'}} = \nabla\cdot\{\vec{A}} + \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
[tex]0 = \nabla\cdot\{\vec{A}} + \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
[tex]- \nabla\cdot\{\vec{A}} = \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
[tex]- (x - \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{t}}) = \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
[tex]-x + \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{t}} = \nabla^{2}{\psi}[/tex]
[tex]\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{t}} = \nabla^{2}{\psi} + x[/tex]
[tex]\mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial^{2}{\psi}}{\partial{t^{2}}} = \nabla^{2}{\psi} + x[/tex]
... which gives me an inequality (i.e. an extra x, and also an extra factor of mu_0 and epsilon_0).

I've also been trying to use the solution to Griffths problem 10.7 as reference but I am really stuck on the steps to take.

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to prove this would be to take your equations for a gauge transformation (b and c), set V' to zero, and show that given any A and V, there exists some psi which effects the desired gauge transformation.

1. What is gauge theory?

Gauge theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of fields, such as electromagnetic fields, in physics. It helps to explain how these fields interact with matter and how they change over time.

2. What does V' = 0 mean in gauge theory?

V' = 0 is a mathematical expression that represents the fact that the potential of a gauge field does not change over time. This is an important concept in gauge theory as it helps to understand the behavior of these fields and their interactions with matter.

3. Why is it important to understand gauge theory?

Gauge theory is a fundamental aspect of modern physics, and it is used to explain a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of subatomic particles to the properties of materials. It is also a crucial tool for developing new theories and conducting experiments in many areas of physics.

4. What are some real-world applications of gauge theory?

Gauge theory has many practical applications, including in the fields of electrical engineering, materials science, and particle physics. For example, it is used in the development of new technologies such as superconductors and in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.

5. What are some common challenges in understanding gauge theory?

Gauge theory can be a complex and abstract concept, and it often requires a strong understanding of advanced mathematical concepts. It can also be challenging to apply in real-world situations, and there are ongoing debates and research in certain areas of gauge theory, such as quantum field theory, which can make it difficult to fully grasp.