GCSE higher / A-Level introductory books

In summary, people who are new to mathematics often find that it is beautiful, but can be frustrating because it is not applicable to everyday life.
uperkurk
So finally after many years of avoiding it due to pure fear of the subject, I've decided I am going to learn maths no matter how hard it is for me.

The question is which book should I get? With so many out there I am looking for something with plenty of problems, a mixture of text based and your typical equation style would be nice. Also the book needs to explain the steps in a clear manner.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey uperkurk.

I have seen quite a few members recommend Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang for people in your situation.

But aside from that, I want to encourage you to do mathematics and realize that it really is like other pursuits in that if you put in the time and effort, use your resources wisely, and follow (and seek out) others who are experienced, then you will progress and probably surprise yourself in the process.

Good luck with it all!

Use What is Mathematics by Courant along with Basic Mathematics by Lang. Have a great begin.

The serge lang book looks awesome. There seems to be a lot in there I have never learnt. Just a quick question, a lot of people say math is beautiful, but for those of you who do math as a hobby, do you ever become frustrated that you can't really apply it to much? Aside from the problems in your next book.

Just purchased the basic mathematics book by serge lang, also got a whiteboard and some pens just because I think i'll be making plenty of mistakes haha. Also it allows me to write freely without having to worry about not fitting it on all 1 page ect.

Thanks for the advice :) I've made the first step, let's hope it goes well from here on

1. What is the purpose of GCSE higher / A-Level introductory books?

The purpose of GCSE higher / A-Level introductory books is to provide students with a comprehensive overview of the subject matter covered in their respective exams. These books are designed to introduce students to the key concepts, theories, and techniques that they will need to understand in order to succeed in their exams.

2. Are GCSE higher / A-Level introductory books necessary for exam preparation?

While it is possible to prepare for GCSE higher / A-Level exams without the use of introductory books, these resources can greatly benefit students by providing them with a structured and organized overview of the material. These books also often include practice questions and exam-style activities to help students test their understanding.

3. How do I choose the right GCSE higher / A-Level introductory book?

When choosing an introductory book, it is important to consider the specific requirements of your exam board and the topics covered in your course. Look for books that align with the syllabus and have good reviews from other students and teachers. It may also be helpful to preview the book before purchasing to ensure it is written in a way that is easy for you to understand.

4. Can GCSE higher / A-Level introductory books be used as the sole study resource?

While GCSE higher / A-Level introductory books can be a valuable resource for exam preparation, they should not be used as the sole study resource. It is important to supplement your learning with class notes, practice questions, and other materials. Additionally, these books are meant to be used as an introduction and may not cover all of the material in depth.

5. Are there any online resources that can be used in conjunction with GCSE higher / A-Level introductory books?

Yes, there are many online resources such as videos, interactive quizzes, and study guides that can be used in conjunction with GCSE higher / A-Level introductory books. These resources can help to reinforce the material covered in the book and provide additional practice and support for exam preparation.