1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GCSE higher / A-Level introductory books

Tags:
  1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    So finally after many years of avoiding it due to pure fear of the subject, I've decided I am going to learn maths no matter how hard it is for me.

The question is which book should I get? With so many out there I am looking for something with plenty of problems, a mixture of text based and your typical equation style would be nice. Also the book needs to explain the steps in a clear manner.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey uperkurk.

I have seen quite a few members recommend Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang for people in your situation.

But aside from that, I want to encourage you to do mathematics and realize that it really is like other pursuits in that if you put in the time and effort, use your resources wisely, and follow (and seek out) others who are experienced, then you will progress and probably surprise yourself in the process.

Good luck with it all!

4. Jan 19, 2013 #3
    Use What is Mathematics by Courant along with Basic Mathematics by Lang. Have a great begin.

5. Jan 19, 2013 #4
    The serge lang book looks awesome. There seems to be a lot in there I have never learnt. Just a quick question, a lot of people say math is beautiful, but for those of you who do math as a hobby, do you ever become frustrated that you can't really apply it to much? Aside from the problems in your next book.

6. Jan 21, 2013 #5
    Just purchased the basic mathematics book by serge lang, also got a whiteboard and some pens just because I think i'll be making plenty of mistakes haha. Also it allows me to write freely without having to worry about not fitting it on all 1 page ect.

Thanks for the advice :) I've made the first step, let's hope it goes well from here on

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook