GCSE Proof os square with equalaterial triangles

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of congruence between two triangles within a square. The properties of an equilateral triangle are mentioned, including the fact that it has three equal sides and angles. The use of algebra in proofs is also mentioned, but it is stated that it is not always necessary. The key to proving congruence in this case is to use the assumption that the sides of a square are equal and that the angles in an equilateral triangle are all the same.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

ABCD is a square and on side BC an equalaterial triangle is made extending to vertex E and another is made on line DC extending to vertex F. Prove that ECD is congruent to BCF.

Homework Equations

Proof is all about using algerbra to prove somthing right?
If it's congruent it has to fit into 4 congruent rules:
SSS
ASA
SAS
RHS

The Attempt at a Solution

Well DC = BC

but where now. I can descirbe it in words, but I believe u need to use albebra to prove it :(

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the properties of an equilateral triangle?

3 even sides and 3 even anlges

thomas49th said:
3 even sides and 3 even anlges

So you know at least two angles are the same and that one side is the same because they are sides of the same square.

ASA, however the question is worth 3 marks. This question was in the mocks and I put:

ED and BF are equal - i got the comment "how do you know"
CF and CE are equal which gave me 1 mark out of 3
SAS - this is wrong as it's ASA

I don't see how I should get a "proper answer", I thought you have to use alegebra?

The sides that you have stated are equal are sides that are not part of the original square. You must state specifically that the side of the triangles that is part of the square are equal and that is made under the assumption that the sides of a square are equal. The second assumption that you would take as self evident is that the angles in an equilateral triangle are all the same. These are reasonable in the GCSE framework.

I don't know why you were given a mark for stating CF and CE are equal.

Algebra is not always required in proofs. All you needed to do for this question was show that one of the conditions for congruence was satisfied using these geometrical arguments.

What is the proof of the relationship between a square and equalateral triangles in GCSE mathematics?

The proof of the relationship between a square and equalateral triangles in GCSE mathematics is that the angles of a square are all equal at 90 degrees, and when a diagonal is drawn from one corner of the square to the opposite corner, it creates two equalateral triangles. This is due to the fact that a square has four equal sides and four equal angles, making it a regular polygon.

How is this proof useful in GCSE mathematics?

This proof is useful in GCSE mathematics because it allows students to understand the relationship between different geometric shapes and how they can be broken down into simpler shapes. It also helps students to understand the properties of regular polygons and how they can be applied in problem solving.

What is the formula for finding the area of a square with equalateral triangles?

The formula for finding the area of a square with equalateral triangles is A = 1/2 x (side length of square)^2.

Can this proof be applied to other regular polygons?

Yes, this proof can be applied to other regular polygons such as equilateral triangles and regular hexagons. The key is to understand the properties of regular polygons and how they can be broken down into simpler shapes to find their area.

How can this proof be used in real-life applications?

This proof can be used in real-life applications such as architecture and engineering. Understanding the relationship between a square and equalateral triangles can help in designing and constructing stable structures. It can also be applied in fields such as computer graphics and design.