Proof of Parallelogram ABCD: Midpoint X & Y Show Area $\frac{1}{4}$

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the midpoint theorem to prove that the area of triangle ABX is one-fourth the area of parallelogram ABCD. The conversation also mentions constructing segment XY and proving the congruence of triangles ABX and XYB using SSS. The midpoint theorem is also mentioned in relation to proving the equality of sides AX=XD and BY=YC. The possibility of AB=XY or DC=XY is also questioned.
mathlearn
ABCD is a parallelogram . X is the midpoint of AD & Y is the midpoint of BC. Show that the area of $\triangle {ABX}$ is $\frac{1}{4}$ the area of ABCD

View attachment 6102

Can you help me with this proof ? were should i start ? I think It should be by proving

$\triangle{DBC} \cong \triangle{DBA} $ using SAS as DB is a common side DC= AB as ABCD is a parallelogram, $\angle {BDC} = \angle{DBA} $ alternate angles

And I can also predict that the use of midpoint theorem here

Many Thanks :)

Attachments

• pargram.png
    pargram.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 71
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start by constructing segment XY. What can be said about triangles ABX and XYB?

Another way: Draw the perpendicular to AB from X. Show, using "similar triangles", that its length is half the length of the perpendicular to AB from D. The result follows immediately from the formulas for the areas of triangle and parallelogram.

greg1313 said:
Start by constructing segment XY. What can be said about triangles ABX and XYB?

They are congruent! But how can they be proved using $SSS$ or $SAS$ or $AAS$

View attachment 6104

Attachments

• pargram.png
    pargram.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 57
I'd use SSS.

I wonder what are the uses of joing the two midpoints of the sides x & y.

It helps to state that,

AX=XD
& BY=YC

And can AB=XY be or DC=XY be said using the midpoint theorem?

What is the proof of parallelogram ABCD?

The proof of parallelogram ABCD involves showing that opposite sides are parallel and congruent, and that opposite angles are also congruent. This can be done using properties of parallelograms, such as the opposite sides being equal in length and the opposite angles being equal in measure.

What is the significance of the midpoints X and Y?

The midpoints X and Y divide the sides of the parallelogram into two equal parts. This can be used to prove that the diagonals of the parallelogram bisect each other, which is a property of parallelograms.

How does midpoint X and Y show the area of $\frac{1}{4}$?

By connecting the midpoints X and Y, we create a smaller parallelogram inside the larger one. This smaller parallelogram has half the base and half the height of the larger parallelogram, resulting in an area that is one fourth of the larger parallelogram.

What are some real-world applications of the proof of parallelogram ABCD?

The proof of parallelogram ABCD has many real-world applications, such as in construction and engineering. Parallelograms can be found in structures such as bridges and buildings, and understanding their properties is crucial for ensuring stability and strength.

How does the proof of parallelogram ABCD relate to other geometric concepts?

The proof of parallelogram ABCD is related to other geometric concepts such as symmetry and congruence. Parallelograms have lines of symmetry and their sides and angles can be congruent to each other, making them important in understanding these concepts.