GEMS - a rich trove of information about galaxy evolution

In summary, the newly released mosaic image from Hubble covers a square of sky about 1/2o wide with an angular resolution of 0.05" and a depth of 24 or 25 mag. This image is a three-dimensional map of the 60,000 or so galaxies that have been identified in the mosaic. Of the 10,000 galaxies that have been found using distances from another deep survey, Jogee looks forward to learning more about multiple-galaxy interactions, black-hole formation, the host galaxies of active galactic nuclei (of which there are about 80 in the survey), and mergers of spirals to become ellipticals.
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A newly released mosaic image from Hubble, with 4 billion pixels, covering a square of sky about 1/2o wide, with an angular resolution of 0.05", and a depth of 24 or 25 mag.

"Not only does the GEMS study cover a large area at high resolution; it is also a three-dimensional map. Of the 60,000 or so galaxies that have been identified in the mosaic, distances have been found for 10,000 using another deep survey of the same area carried out with a 2.2-meter telescope at the European La Silla observatory in Chile."

"Jogee [a GEMS team member] looks forward to learning more about multiple-galaxy interactions, black-hole formation, the host galaxies of active galactic nuclei (of which there are about 80 in the survey), and mergers of spirals to become ellipticals. Of course, the observers work closely with theorists who devise ever-more-detailed computer simulations of the various physical processes that play a role in galactic evolution."

"This is becoming a very well-studied bit of sky. The GEMS field coincides with the extended Chandra Deep Field, which was imaged in X-rays by the Chandra X-Ray Observatory. The central fifth of the GEMS field is being imaged more deeply by the many-wavelength GOODS Survey. And within the GOODS area we will soon see will the smaller, deeper Hubble Ultra-Deep Field (UDF), the size of a single ACS camera frame. The UDF is currently scheduled for release in March."

http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1152_1.asp

Astronomy news on Phys.org
All I have to say about the image that I just saw on that news article is wow. My comments on it are such as:
1. Great Ideas had to go into this to make it happen.
2. Thanks should be handed out to all of the scientist and engineers that helped make this happen, and even a more special thanks to the astronauts that risked their lives up in space to create the Hubble telescope, and keep it operational for us.
3. Might they be able to use that Radiation technique that you were talking about in an earlier post to help them with the mapping of these galaxies and such according to the position of the earth?
-Bob Smith

Originally posted by ScionPunk352
All I have to say about the image that I just saw on that news article is wow. My comments on it are such as:
1. Great Ideas had to go into this to make it happen.
2. Thanks should be handed out to all of the scientist and engineers that helped make this happen, and even a more special thanks to the astronauts that risked their lives up in space to create the Hubble telescope, and keep it operational for us.
3. Might they be able to use that Radiation technique that you were talking about in an earlier post to help them with the mapping of these galaxies and such according to the position of the earth?
-Bob Smith
Glad to hear that you enjoyed this Bob, and welcome to Physics Forums.

re 3, would you mind pointing to which particular 'earlier post'? I'm afraid I sometimes lose track.

Ah, oh, my mistake, i got names confused. I saw Nareid, and Nibles, and i confused you two. Nibles had brought up something in this post that had something to do with the radiation of stars being used to track their positions in the universe.

Originally posted by Nereid
A newly released mosaic image from Hubble, with 4 billion pixels, covering a square of sky about 1/2o wide, with an angular resolution of 0.05", and a depth of 24 or 25 mag.

[/url]

Hey Nereid, half a degree wide is the size of the full moon
a pretty nice size patch of sky!

so ellipticals form by the slow merger of spirals
and Milky may someday be one (after consuming Andromeda?)

wish I had a poster of that GEMS picture to put on the study wall.
thanks

Originally posted by marcus
so ellipticals form by the slow merger of spirals

This has been theorized by astronomers studying the formation of globular clusters. See this review article, for example:

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0107297

1. What is GEMS and why is it important for studying galaxy evolution?

GEMS (Galaxy Evolution from Morphology and SEDs) is a large-scale survey that uses multi-wavelength imaging of distant galaxies to study their evolution over time. It is important because it provides a comprehensive dataset for studying the formation and evolution of galaxies, which can shed light on the history of our own Milky Way galaxy.

2. How was GEMS conducted and what techniques were used?

GEMS was conducted using the Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS) on the Hubble Space Telescope. The survey used a combination of optical and near-infrared imaging to capture the morphologies and spectral energy distributions (SEDs) of over 10,000 galaxies in the GOODS-South field.

3. What have scientists learned about galaxy evolution from GEMS?

GEMS has provided valuable insights into the different stages of galaxy evolution, from the early formation of galaxies to their merger and evolution into larger structures. Scientists have also been able to study the role of star formation, gas content, and environment in the evolution of galaxies.

4. Can GEMS data be accessed by the public?

Yes, the GEMS dataset is publicly available through the Space Telescope Science Institute's Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes (MAST). This allows researchers and the general public to access and use the data for their own studies and analyses.

5. How has GEMS influenced future studies on galaxy evolution?

GEMS has paved the way for future studies on galaxy evolution by providing a framework for understanding the formation and evolution of galaxies. The data and techniques used in GEMS have also been applied to other surveys, further expanding our knowledge of the universe and its history.