Gender Independent Salutation in English

In summary, Mr./Ms. Rajendra Adhikari and Mr./Ms. Ramkumar kafle are the chairman and vice chairman of a committee. They prefer to be addressed by their title, without any salutations. Wikipedia can be used to find someone with those names.
I_am_learning
I need to publish a list of a committee members. Is there any better way of preceding each persons name by Mr/Ms ?
1. Mr/Ms Rajendra Adhikari ---- Chairman
2. Mr/Ms Ramkumar kafle ----- Vice-Chairman
etc. I am searching for single word replacement for Mr/Ms if there is any?

Physics news on Phys.org
I_am_learning said:
I need to publish a list of a committee members. Is there any better way of preceding each persons name by Mr/Ms ?

humanoid?

No.

Multicellular organism

I_am_learning said:
Not in formal introductions, unless you want to acknowledge them individually by name if they have similar credentials.

"Dr." is of course an option in some cases, but you really should find out these peoples genders. What's keeping you from doing that?

Just pronounce them all as "Mr.", that way you likely won't be more than 50% wrong.

AJKing said:
but you really should find out these peoples genders. What's keeping you from doing that?
I don't personally know the people, just emails and forums.
"Whats your gender?" , Won't that feel awkward?. The obvious counter question -"Why should it concern YOU?", and the funny reply "I can't find gender independent salutation" :tongue:

Whatever you do, don't use the Crocodile Dundee approach.

I_am_learning said:
I don't personally know the people, just emails and forums.
"Whats your gender?" , Won't that feel awkward?. The obvious counter question -"Why should it concern YOU?", and the funny reply "I can't find gender independent salutation" :tongue:

Try this, "I'm making [project] for [noun], and I'd like to have a title by your name, which do you prefer: 'Mr.', 'Mrs.', or something else?"

"Dear" is as close as it gets in my experience. "Dear Bob Smith", for example, is common enough and usually taken as an indication you want to sell them something.

Why not use their committee title as their title?

1. Chairman, Rajendra Adhikari
2. Vice-Chairman, Ramkumar kafle

You can use Wikipedia to find people with those names. For example, Rajendra and Ramkumar are both men's names. Just look them up and try to figure it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajendra

TheStatutoryApe said:

i would use the format he had, just omit the salutations if there is no way to confirm them otherwise. getting a bit trickier these days anyway, what with transgenders and all that.

Agree with Proton Soup, just leave them out. Anyway, I've heard it that some women find Ms offensive.

TheStatutoryApe said:

1. Chairman, Rajendra Adhikari
2. Vice-Chairman, Ramkumar kafle

That would have to be 'chair person' and 'vice chair person'

Yes, it's 'persondatory'!

I_am_learning said:

Yes. Simply use their first and last name. I'm really not sure why titles are still being asked by certain website, as our world is far less formal now that it used to be.

Omitting the salutation works, of course, but at the cost of loosing the respect a good salute provides. Salutation used to be used for a reason, isn't it?

I_am_learning said:
Omitting the salutation works, of course, but at the cost of loosing the respect a good salute provides. Salutation used to be used for a reason, isn't it?

protocols of etiquette, i guess. which may also differ by region. most people here are thinking in a very modern western liberal point of view, i think. you probably need to stick with whatever is considered best where you are. worst case may be that you chase down everyone to find out their salutations.

I_am_learning said:

Omit the Mr/Ms/. just use the name and title and let other people try to figure the gender.

What is a gender independent salutation in English?

A gender independent salutation in English is a form of address that does not specify or assume the gender of the person being addressed. This is often used as a way to be more inclusive and respectful of individuals who may not identify as strictly male or female.

Why is it important to use gender independent salutations?

Using gender independent salutations is important because it acknowledges and respects individuals who may not fit into traditional gender categories. It also helps to create a more inclusive and welcoming environment for all individuals.

What are examples of gender independent salutations?

Examples of gender independent salutations include "Dear", "Hello", "Greetings", "Hi there", and "Good morning/afternoon/evening". These salutations do not assume or specify the gender of the person being addressed.

How can I ensure I am using gender independent salutations?

To ensure you are using gender independent salutations, you can simply avoid using gender-specific titles or pronouns such as "Mr.", "Ms.", "Sir", or "Madam". Instead, opt for more neutral terms like "Mx." or "They/Them".

What do I do if I am unsure of someone's gender?

If you are unsure of someone's gender, it is always best to ask for their preferred pronouns or use gender neutral language. You can also use their name or simply avoid using any gendered language in your salutation.