Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General advantages/Disadvantages of going into physics

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    general opinions? hate your job? have trouble meeting women? what problems are there living as a physicist

(yes i am aware that this is the PF lounge. i'm posting here on purpose)

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, from the physics scenes in Spiderman 3, there are oodles of attractive female physicists. Of course they were all working on a machine that can break a man up into particles and still leave him alive, so they probably are to busy to date the rest of us male physicists.....:rofl::rolleyes:

Seriously though. I'd say the worst part of being a physics STUDENT is the looks you get..... You know, the "why the hell would you want to do THAT for living look?" :eek: whenever you tell someone outside the sciences what your major is.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  4. May 24, 2007 #3
    Personally, i think it is very impractical for some one to go into the field and not as a genius.

5. May 24, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, do you mean that a person has to be a genius for it to be practical to go into physics?

If this is the case, I must disagree. I think a person must be intelligent, but not a genius to be a successful physicist.

6. May 24, 2007 #5
    string theory got pretty far using that method

7. May 24, 2007 #6
    yeah... i get that from my friends sometimes when i tell them my goals. what i want to know is "how can you NOT be obsessed with physics?!" :bugeye:

8. May 24, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well really any field. Consider the members of this forum. Do you consider the members here who are known to be successful physicists with jobs and publications to be geniuses? I wouldn't think so. I far as I can tell, they are just intelligent people, with a love for science and good work ethic.

9. May 24, 2007 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hehehe, I wonder how they would answer that?

10. May 24, 2007 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I disagree. Every little contribution helps.

11. May 24, 2007 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly. Science is something that the scientific community works on together. It's not a competition between scientists.

12. May 24, 2007 #11
    generals dont win wars by themselves

13. May 25, 2007 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

well... depending on the scientist; They actually make us compete with each other in Grad School... but yeah, that is the ideal.

14. May 25, 2007 #13
    I'm entering college fall 07, but I've already received that look from people asking what my major will be... Goes something like this

Friend: What are you planning on majoring in?
    Me: Physics
    Friend: Why would you do that? What will you do with a physics degree?

15. May 25, 2007 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's my favorite line!!!

I also like what happens next..........

Me:Well, What's you major?

Friend: Communications:approve:

Me::uhh:

16. May 25, 2007 #15
    Heard that line more times than I can remember.

17. May 25, 2007 #16

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know an astrophysicist, and when he gets asked "What do you do?" by the person sitting next to him in a plane, he responds:

"I'm an astronomer" if he feels like talking;

"I'm a physicist" if he doesn't want to be disturbed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?