1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Centre of mass derivation

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    It's my first question here. So I'll try to give as much as information as I know

Actually I am stuck with a problem of centre of mass derivation of a triangle with its base on the X axis and symmetric about it.
    The base is b and height is H

As far as I know I have to imagine it as a couple of 1d bodies and integrate them.

Thanks
    SAGNIK

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2
    Since its symmetric about the X axis the y coordinate needs to be found only.

4. Mar 23, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The y- coordinate of the center of gravity of an object with density function [itex]\delta(x,y)[/itex] is
    [tex]\frac{\int y \delta(x,y) dxdy}{\int \delta(x, y) dxdy}[/tex]
    In particular, if [tex]\delta[/tex] is a constant, it can be factored out of the two integrals and cancelled- that is the "center of gravity" is just the
    geometrical "centroid". Here, we can set up a coordinate system so that the origin is at the center of the base of the isosceles triangle, base
    along the x- axis, height along the y-axis. The equations of the two slant sides can easily be determined.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted