General explaination of standard model/particles in general?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school senior who is considering studying physics in college. They are seeking a better understanding of the standard model and how particles interact with each other. They also mention their limited knowledge of atoms and subatomic particles. The conversation ends with a resource recommendation and an invitation to ask further questions on a specific forum.
unanimousteen
Sorry if this was posted in the wrong section. I'm only going to be a senior in high school and have never taken physics but I think I might want to study/major in it in college, obviously not for sure yet since it's still a long ways away. I've recently become interested in this stuff and have only skimmed the surface from looking at articles/videos online and I really want to go way more in depth since I am also pretty good at math.

Anyways, can anyone explain to me what the standard model really is/says? And how particles work and interact with each other in general? For example, I've known that an atom is made of the proton neutron and electron and that they're made of smaller quarks and subatomic particles, but that some of those quarks and particles have a larger mass than the proton and neutron. How is that even possible? Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, I'm surely no expert :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Start here:

http://particleadventure.org/

If you have any questions after that, fire away! Our "High Energy, Nuclear, & Particle Physics" forum would be the best place for that, BTW.

Thanks, looks good. I'll try it out.

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a widely accepted theory in physics that explains the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It describes three of the four fundamental forces (electromagnetic, strong, and weak) and classifies all known particles into a system of quarks, leptons, and bosons.

2. What are the basic building blocks of matter according to the Standard Model?

The basic building blocks of matter in the Standard Model are quarks and leptons. Quarks are the building blocks of protons and neutrons, while leptons are particles that do not interact strongly with other particles, such as electrons and neutrinos.

3. How does the Standard Model explain the four fundamental forces?

The Standard Model explains the four fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetic, strong, and weak) by describing how particles interact with each other through the exchange of force-carrying particles called bosons. For example, the electromagnetic force is carried by photons, while the strong force is carried by gluons.

4. Are there any particles that the Standard Model does not account for?

Yes, there are several particles that are not accounted for by the Standard Model, including dark matter and dark energy. These particles are believed to make up a large portion of the universe, but their existence has not been confirmed by experiments yet.

5. How does the Standard Model explain the difference between matter and antimatter?

The Standard Model explains the difference between matter and antimatter by introducing the concept of charge parity (CP) symmetry. According to this, for every particle, there is an antiparticle with the same mass but opposite charge. The Standard Model predicts that matter and antimatter should have been created in equal amounts during the Big Bang, but for some reason, there is an imbalance that resulted in the dominance of matter in our universe.